Carmen Davis has 20 years of experience as a local government professional with 9 of those years in local government management. Mrs. Davis served as a City Planner in Detroit, MI and County Administrator of Hinds County, MS.
From 2010 to 2020, as County Administrator of Hinds County, Mississippi, Mrs. Davis was the first woman appointed in this position. During her tenure, Mrs. Davis was responsible for an operating budget of $115 million and oversaw 13 departments and direct reports, including a Central Personnel System of approximately 900 employees. She also supported 14 county elected officials by providing fiscal and administrative resources for their departments. Mrs. Davis was also instrumental in recovering a deficit budget during the recession of 2009. Furloughs ended and cash balance increased from about $26,000 in 2010 to over $2.5 million annually by 2012. From that point, cash reserve funds increased to $3.5 million during her leadership.
Mrs. Davis’ local government management experience, along with her effective management and leadership style, led to the creation of innovative programs and processes. Her areas of expertise are organizational restructuring, personnel policy development and implementation, leadership/professional development, capital improvement project management, and criminal justice program/policy development. Some of the programs she developed are pre-trial services program, wellness and safety programs, record management/retention programs, and American Disabilities Act compliance office.
From 1993 to 2009, Mrs. Davis served as a City Planner with the City of Detroit City Planning Commission and City Council where she authored zoning ordinances, zoning map amendments, city codes, and public policies on major urban issues as well as directed the preparation of recommended changes. Mrs. Davis has worked on progressive issues and projects related to residential, commercial, and industrial developments to address social, economic and physical impacts. Furthermore, Mrs. Davis’ has successfully improved community relations among community groups/organizations, developers, and other stakeholders bringing collaboration, in addition to, consensus building.
Mrs. Davis holds a Bachelor’s in Urban Planning and Geography and Master’s degree in Business Administration from Wayne State University in Detroit, MI. She is currently President of the Mississippi City/County Manager’s Association and member of the ICMA since 2015.
- Current Member, International City/County Management Association
- Current President, Mississippi City/County Managers Association
- Current Member, National Association of County Administrators
- Member, MS Association of County Administrators and Comptrollers, 2010-2019
- President 2015-16
- Vice President 2014-15
- Treasurer 2013-14
- Executive Advisory Board of Directors, Jackson State University Institute of Government, 2013-2016
- Leadership Greater Jackson, Class Graduate of 2012-2013
- Board Member, Leadership Greater Jackson, 2013- 2017
- Board Member, U.S.S. Jackson Commissioning Committee, 2015-2016
- Member, U.S. Navy League, 2016
- Co-Chair, Hinds County Criminal Justice Coordinating Council
- Taskforce Member, Planning for a New County Jail