Ms. Stevens has over twenty years of experience in municipal management. Her career spans three states: Minnesota, Kansas and Pennsylvania. Ms. Stevens has worked in both county and city government and her career covers work in urban, suburban and rural communities.
Ms. Stevens is a proven leader in the profession and has had multiple opportunities to serve her profession, including a personal highlight of serving as a Regional Vice President for ICMA early in her career. Ms. Stevens is also proud that she was able to serve on the League of Minnesota Cities’ Board of Directors and the Coalition of Greater Minnesota Cities’ Board of Directors simultaneously.
Ms. Stevens has expertise in community and civic engagement, having started her career in neighborhood services and led two community wide visioning and strategic planning efforts for two different communities. Charlene is passionate about community engagement and striving to have all diverse voices heard during the process.
Ms. Stevens’ results-oriented management has included projects that have expanded parks and preserved greenspace in rapidly developing communities, developed a workforce training center for a large urban county and developed downtown development plans for two communities.
Ms. Stevens’ strength is her ability to develop strong partnerships with multiple and diverse stakeholders. Through those partnerships, Ms. Stevens helps communities develop consensus and achievable plans.
Charlene is an innovative problem solver and brings enthusiasm and creativity to her work. Ms. Stevens is proud to have mentored many young professionals throughout her diverse career, including helping to establish women’s mentoring groups in three different communities.
Professional Training, Education and Instruction
- Master of Public Administration, University of Kansas – Lawrence, Kansas
- Bachelor of Arts, International Relations, Pomona College – Claremont, California
- Leadership Wichita Graduate
- Instructor, International City and County Management Association (ICMA), Emerging Leaders Development Program
- Instructor, ICMA Mid-Career Institute
Memberships and Affiliations
- International City and County Management Association (ICMA) – Current Member
- ICMA Task Force on Welcoming New Members – Chair – 2009 – 2015
- ICMA Task Force on Women in the Profession – 2012-2014, Member
- ICMA Regional Vice President – ICMA Executive Board Member – 2003-2006
414 total views, 4 views today