Michael Hosking is a Vice President (Midwest Region) for GovHR USA, to which he brings considerable experience in Public Safety management. He has 35 years experience leading and managing the police and fire departments with the City of Lake Forest, Illinois, one of Chicago’s most desirable suburban communities. In 2013 he accepted an Interim Deputy Chief of Police Position with the Village of Lake Bluff. His duties included mentoring the new Chief of Police and working with the Sergeants to prepare one of them to become the permanent Deputy Chief. He also was to work with the police officers to prepare them for promotion to Sergeant. Additionally, he helped create and institute a Detective’s position to ensure follow up on criminal cases. He completed that assignment in October of 2017. He also has experience in executive recruitment, mentoring and management consulting with police agencies and municipal governments throughout the country.
As Lake Forest’s Police Chief, Director of Public Safety, and finally Fire Chief, Mr. Hosking implemented a variety of programs specifically designed to reduce crime, increase awareness, improve community relations and prevent and reduce fires within the community. He has extensive experience developing and administering policies for municipal police and fire departments as well as the administration of grants, the C.A.L.E.A. Accreditation process, N.F.P.A. Standards, ISO Ratings and employee contract negotiations. In addition, he has experience in analyzing the economic impact of new development on municipal services and in the development of Mission and Vision statements. Prior to his tenure in Lake Forest, Mr. Hosking worked for a high school district and the U.S. Postal Service.
Mr. Hosking is a graduate of Northeastern Illinois University majoring in Sociology and has a Master’s degree in Law Enforcement Administration from Western Illinois University. He is also a U.S. Army military Viet Nam Veteran and a graduate of the FBI National Academy, the Illinois Executive Institute, and a number of other nationally recognized senior management programs.
Professional Education, Training and Instruction
- Bachelor’s degree in Sociology, Northeastern Illinois University, IL
- Master’s degree in Law Enforcement Administration, Western Illinois University, IL
- FBI National Academy
- Illinois Executive Institute
- Has received and completed over 3000 hours of training and instruction related to law enforcement, supervision, management and other related topics.
Memberships and Affiliations
- Life member with the Illinois and International Chiefs of Police Association
- Member of the American Legion
- Lake Forest Police Department Commendation Award 2001
- Lake Forest / Lake Bluff Rotary Distinguished Service Award 2004
- Lake County Chiefs of Police Excellence Award 2004
- Rotary Paul Harris Fellow Award 2005
Local Government Professional Background:
Over 35 years of experience in Public Safety Management
- Interim Deputy Chief of Police Village of Lake Bluff, IL 2013 – 2017
- Fire Chief, City of Lake Forest, IL 2007
- Director of Public Safety, City of Lake Forest, IL 2004-2006
- Police Chief, City of Lake Forest, IL 2000-2004