W. Grant Farrar is the Senior Vice President – Federal Portfolio and Client Development of GovHR USA. He joined in 2018 and serves a key role in procuring federal contracts and completing requirements for Women Owned Business designations at the city, state and federal levels.
As Corporation Counsel for the City of Evanston, Illinois from 2009-2018, Grant effectively advised and counseled elected officials and staff regarding the successful deployment of police body worn cameras in Evanston. Grant is a recognized thought leader, author and speaker regarding police body worn camera procurement and deployment. Grant’s legal team spearheaded risk management and litigation strategies saving Evanston over $12M in 8 years. As the City’s chief legal officer and business adviser, Grant utilized sound judgment, high integrity, and an entrepreneurial mindset to support and advance organizational growth and accomplishment.
Select achievements include:
• Revenue. Formulated and implemented the strategy to enable Evanston to pursue and secure new wholesale water customers in neighboring communities. These successful ventures will generate approximately $100+ million in new revenue to the City over the next 40 years.
• Policy Transformation and Government Relations. Redefined problems to assist Evanston, Illinois to achieve significant legislative and public policy breakthroughs.
• Organizational Advancement. Secured ratification of innovative new collective bargaining agreements to dramatically reduce state mandates and curtail severe pension obligations.
• New Business Ventures. Expanded professional development and consulting support for state and federal clients throughout the United States.
Professional Education, Training and Instruction
• Juris Doctor, John Marshall Law School, Chicago, IL
• Executive Education, Kellogg School of Management, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL
• Admitted to Practice, Illinois Supreme Court
• Admitted to Practice, 7th Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals & Trial Bar, U.S. District Court, Northern District Illinois
• Certified Mediator, DePaul University College of Law, Chicago, IL
• Bachelor’s degree, University of Iowa, Iowa City, IA
Professional Development and Speaking Engagements
• Speaker, “Lights, Action, Body Camera”, Illinois Municipal League Spring Attorneys’ Conference, Bloomington, IL, April 2018
• Author, “Lights, Action, Body Camera”, Illinois Municipal League Review, March 2018
• Speaker, “Managing a Municipal Legal Department”, Illinois Institute of Local Government Lawyers Annual Conference, Chicago IL, December 2016
• Speaker, “Municipal Risk Management and Claims Handling”, Claims and Litigation Management Alliance Midwest Conference, Chicago IL, June 2015
• Distinguished Service Award, City of Evanston, March 2018
Membership and Affiliation
• American Bar Association
• International Municipal Lawyers Association
• Active Fellow, Claims and Litigation Management Alliance
• Defense Research Institute
Local Government Professional Background
Experience in local government and non-profit administration
• Corporation Counsel, City of Evanston 2009-2018
• Treasurer, Foundation 65, Evanston, Illinois 2014-2016
• Partner, Bollinger, Ruberry & Garvey 2004-2009
• Senior Associate, Robbins, Schwartz 2001-2004
• Assistant State’s Attorney, Cook County 1999-2001
• Assistant Counsel to the Speaker, Illinois House 1997-1999