The Village of Arlington Heights, IL (pop. 77,676) seeks a skilled, experienced and approachable human resources professional with exceptional interpersonal skills and demonstrated leadership and management experience to lead its human resources department. An integral part of the executive leadership team, this position is appointed by and reports directly to the Village Manager. The organization offers a full array of government services and has 430 FTEs. The current Director is retiring after 23 years of distinguished service in Arlington Heights.
Arlington Heights is a thriving, established community that has successfully blended its rich history with progressive development. This highly regarded Village provides its residents and visitors with an abundance of cultural, educational, recreational and entertainment opportunities. Located 25 miles northwest of downtown Chicago, Arlington Heights is home to the former Arlington Park Racetrack, a central focus for redevelopment, which was recently purchased for the potential relocation of the Chicago Bears NFL team. The Village is easily accessible by land, air and commuter rail and has two Metra train station stops to get business commuters to downtown Chicago in 33 minutes during rush hour. Please note the following about this position:
- The Village seeks candidates who have demonstrated success working within an effective team, will strategically contribute to organization-wide initiatives, and will serve as a visible leader in the organization.
- The Director is a trusted colleague, a resource for all employees and manages all employee-related issues and benefits.
- Successful candidates will have strong leadership and communication skills, experience in collective bargaining, and experience in the development and implementation of progressive and strategic human resources initiatives including DEI initiatives, succession planning and classification/compensation strategies.
- Key priorities for the next Human Resources Director will be the focus on employee recruitment and retention; effective utilization and operational refinement of the Village’s new Enterprise ERP (Munis by Tyler Technologies); oversight of the Village’s DEI strategy and departmental succession plans; and analyzing current and future workforce needs, including training, and onboarding.
- The HR Department consists of the Director plus four additional employees: an Assistant Director, a Benefits Administrator, an HR Generalist and an Administrative Assistant.
Minimum Qualifications: A bachelor’s degree in human resource management, public administration, industrial relations or a closely related field. A master’s degree in a related field is preferred. Candidates must have a minimum of seven years of progressively responsible experience administering human resource programs, including at least three years supervisory experience. Local government experience is highly valued but not required. An equivalent combination of education and experience to successfully perform the essential duties of the job will also be considered. Extensive knowledge of employment laws, regulations, and compliance standards as well as familiarity with current human resources trends and practices required. The expected hiring range for this position is $150,000 – $160,000 (top of salary range is $190,000).
Apply online with resume, cover letter and contact information for five professional references by April 21, 2023. For further information, contact Heidi Voorhees, President, GovHR USA at 847-380-3240 ext. 101 or Mary Jacobs, Vice President, GovHR USA at 847-380-3240.
Application Deadline: April 21, 2023