CITY OF ASPEN, CO (7,170). The world-class City of Aspen is seeking an experienced and collaborative manager to serve as the Chief Building Official (CBO) of their Building Department, with oversight of complex permitting, inspection, code enforcement, and contractor licensing processes. The Building Department, along with Environmental Health and Climate Action, Historic Preservation, Planning, Zoning, and Operations, are collaborative partners that report to the Community Development Director. Together, this team oversees the annual $1 Billion in development activity occurring in the City ranging from high-end commercial to high-rise multiple family dwellings to garage/fence permits. The CBO also will coordinate with multiple agencies in their efforts to support development in the affluent mountain resort community. Strategic partners include Engineering, Utilities, and Parks.
The 14-person Building Department, with a budget of $2.3 million, issued approximately 1,000 permits in 2021 with a value of $259 million. Demonstrating leadership in sustainability, cold climate construction, and Energy Code innovation, the next CBO will facilitate the adoption of new building codes and regulations, ensuring that Aspen is a national leader in these areas. It is expected that the CBO will have outstanding customer service skills and political acumen to ensure consistent interpretation of codes and predictable outcomes in the permitting process. As an approachable and personable leader, the CBO will thrive in the team-oriented environment, leading skilled staff in their efforts to serve the community in an equitable and efficient manner.
- Strong knowledge of the duties and responsibilities of a CBO, including applied knowledge and previous administration of the International Building Code; ability to administer highly complex local government regulations, policies, and construction processes; an appreciation for and use of technology within the permitting process; management principles, including strategic planning, resource allocation, leadership techniques, and supervision of a talented, capable staff.
- Demonstrated ability to assess a variety of high-profile situations with varying degrees of sensitivity; a decisive leader who will consult with team members and various parties seeking information prior to finalizing a conclusion; and an individual who will understand trends, economic stressors, and the assessment of decision outcomes.
- An open, approachable communication style that fosters enthusiasm, good humor, and creativity; an individual who is comfortable educating and informing elected and appointed officials, developers, the community, partners, and referral agencies and employees. The ability to establish trust quickly with others.
- Demonstrate the ability to manage the day-to-day fast-paced environment with a demanding workload while keeping an eye on supporting a talented multi-disciplinary staff, coordinating with partners and referral agencies.
- Able to communicate decisions throughout the organization and external to the City; facilitate the workflow amongst partners and referral agencies to achieve the strategic objectives of the City while demonstrating high regard for the clients of the Building Department.
The City of Aspen provides competitive compensation with a comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, dental, and vision insurance; health savings and flexible spending accounts; 401(a) employer retirement contributions; paid time off; tuition reimbursement assistance; and wellness incentives. The City also provides employees with options related to transitional housing (6 months to 1 year) and possible relocation assistance. The hiring salary range for this position is between $103,217-$154,826, depending on qualifications.
First look of applications will occur on September 9, 2022; position open until filled. Candidates shall apply electronically at www.GovHRjobs.com
with résumé, cover letter, and contact information for five professional references to Kathleen Rush, GovHRUSA, 630 Dundee Road, #225, Northbrook, IL 60062. TEL: 847/380-3240.
The City of Aspen is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled