Town of Belmont, population of 27,295 residents, seeks highly qualified applicants for the full-time position of Human Resource Director to join the leadership of the town administration. Belmont is an eclectic, safe, and highly desirable diverse urban community with an excellent school system and public transportation, livable and walkable neighborhoods, accessible job opportunities, green space, and outstanding services.
Belmont is governed by Representative Town Meeting, the legislative body; a three person Select Board, the CEO; and Town Administrator, the CAO. The Human Resource Director is appointed by the Town Administrator.
The Human Resource Director works independently under the administrative direction of the Town Administrator and in accordance with applicable statutes of the MGL and local bylaws. The position directs and provides technical assistance on all human resource functions, including wage and salary administration; group health, life and dental insurance; unemployment administration; labor relations and collective bargaining; workers compensation and safety; employee assistance program; employment and selection; performance evaluations; disciplinary actions; and training and development.
- Supervises staff members in delivering services to approximately 350 Town employees, manages insurance benefit programs, including health, life, and dental insurance programs for over 1,200 Town and School employees and retirees. Belmont Organizational Chart
- Maintain a centralized employee record system according to the applicable regulation and verifies accuracy of required and requested employment reports.
- Serves as lead negotiator in collective bargaining for seven town unions on behalf of the Select Board and Town Administrator and assists with collective bargaining for Belmont Light. The Director has the authority to reach a tentative agreement to be ratified by the Select Board.
- Oversees compliance with the seven collective bargaining agreements and assists department heads with contract interpretation, grievances, and disciplinary matters.
- Develops the department’s annual budget and authorizes all department expenditures.
- Initiates, communicates, implements, and interprets policies and procedures on all matters affecting town personnel in compliance with applicable federal and state employment laws and regulations.
- Responsible for coordinating recruitment and hiring activities, including updating job descriptions, posting vacancy advertisements, screening applications, and assisting with the selection.
- Oversees administration of unemployment and workers compensation, wage and salary plans, new employee orientation, updating and distribution of employee and safety handbooks, and assisting public safety Chiefs with Ch. 41 Sec. 111F MGL claims.
- Serves as the liaison to the Employee Insurance Advisory Committee and the Employee Safety Committee and manages the employee assistance program.
- Works closely with the Town Administrator maintaining a comprehensive professional performance evaluation program.
Recommended Minimum Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Public Administration, or Management or related field; A master’s degree in public administration or human Resources and/or completion of the MMA – Suffolk Certificate Program in Local Government Leadership & Management is advantageous.
- Minimum of five (5) to seven (7) years of increasingly responsible professional experience in management, human resources, labor relations, and supervisory experience – municipal preferred; or the equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
Knowledge, Abilities, and Skills
Applicants must possess thorough knowledge of laws, regulations, principles, and practices related to Massachusetts municipal human resource management, demonstrate the ability to analyze and interpret relevant statutes, legislation, regulations, and data.
The position requires strong planning and organization skills, demonstrated ability to direct and supervise staff, excellent verbal and writing skills, and a demonstrated ability to establish and build effective relationships with diverse individuals at all levels in a decentralized organization.
Other Details and How to Apply
The current salary range is $115,000 to $130,000 DOQ. The Town of Belmont offers an excellent benefit package. Apply online at www.GovHRjobs.com with a resume, cover letter and contact information for five (5) professional references. The position will remain open until filled, so if interested you are advised to confidentially apply as soon as possible. Confidential inquiries are encouraged and should be directed to Michael Jaillet, Vice President, GovHR USA at 781-760-3658.
The Town of Belmont is an Equal Opportunity Employer who values diversity at all levels of its workforce and is actively seeking a diverse pool of candidates for its next Human Resource Director.
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled