The City of Beloit, WI (pop. 36,966), located on the southern Wisconsin state line, is a community with a proud legacy of strength, beauty and diversity and is seeking experienced public safety professionals with strong leadership skills as candidates to fill three (3) Battalion Chief positions (Shift Commanders – 24/48 Schedule). The City is home to the internationally renowned Beloit College and is the gateway to the state of Wisconsin from Illinois, greeting over 1,000,000 tourists annually through the welcome center at 39/90 and I-43.
The City covers 17.7 square miles with a downtown that is the historical, cultural and social center of the community along the Rock River and Turtle Creek, with a dense cluster of small shops and boutiques along the riverfront park system. The City of Beloit prides itself on providing state-of-the-art municipal services with a strong emphasis on customer service.
Including the Fire Chief, the Beloit Fire Department has a Deputy Fire Chief (shared with the City of South Beloit, IL – 10 hours a week) and is staffed by 64 shift and support personnel. Personnel from the rank of Firefighter through Captain are represented by the International Association of Firefighters Local 583. The department provides full Fire, EMS (ALS), Fire Prevention and Special Teams Operations. The new Battalion Chiefs will be assigned to a shift as a shift commander. Each shift has a Captain (headquarters) and two Lieutenants (outlying stations) as the remainder of the supervisory staff. In 2021, the department responded to 6912 total calls for service (5108 EMS/Rescue and 1804 Fire/Service calls).
The City is seeking experienced professionals with the following attributes:
- Innovation: Bring fresh ideas to the organization and offer unique perspectives and experiences as well as a capability and desire to monitor the forefront of industry advances and assess adaptation and application to Beloit.
- Energy: Provide enthusiasm and focused energy to all projects and a passion for service to the community.
- Expertise and Intellectual Curiosity: Bring extensive knowledge of Fire and EMS strategy, operation and innovation and a passion for continuous learning and improvement.
- Versatility: Play an important role in coordinating, facilitating, and managing projects that require involvement across multiple service areas with a balance of trust and delegation.
- Leadership: Be dedicated to effective leadership and building collaborative and positive relationships with those they lead, as well as other staff members and outside organizations in the region. Building and actively working to sustain high trust relationships is paramount.
- Engaging Perspective: Demonstrate a balance of commitment to the organization as well as the senior management team of the city with a genuine confidence and approachable personality.
Other attributes include:
- Desire to be a part of a great team.
- The ability to focus on local and regional issues and staffing models with an emphasis and experience in police/fire collaborative dispatch operations, emergency management, and a strong collaborative incident management perspective.
- Strong background in collective bargaining with demonstrated skills in relationship building.
Successful candidates shall possess a Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in fire science/fire management, public administration or a related field. The position requires 7 years of responsible supervisory experience in a fire department setting, including at least 2 years of professional managerial experience involving budgetary, program development, planning, and comprehensive supervisory responsibilities. A valid Fire Officer 2 Certification from the State of Wisconsin, or equivalent certification/training from another state is preferred. The annual starting salary range for this position is $90,000 – $105,000+/-, depending upon qualifications. The City of Beloit also offers an attractive benefits package.
Interested professionals should submit a resume, cover letter and contact information for five (5) professional references by August 10, 2022 at www.GovHRjobs.com. Questions may be directed to T.E. Sashko, Vice-President, GovHR USA, (847) 380-3240 X123. Electronic submissions are required.
THE CITY OF BELOIT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER – www.beloitwi.gov
Posted:Jul 29, 2022
To apply for this job please visit www.govhrusa.com.