The City of Beloit, WI (pop. 36,966), located on the southern Wisconsin state line, is a community with a proud legacy of strength, beauty and diversity and is seeking an experienced public safety professional with strong leadership skills as candidates for its next Fire Chief. The City is home to the internationally renowned Beloit College and is the gateway to the state of Wisconsin from Illinois, greeting over 1,000,000 tourists annually through the welcome center at 39/90 and I-43.
The City covers 17.7 square miles with a downtown that is the historical, cultural and social center of the community along the Rock River and Turtle Creek, with a dense cluster of small shops and boutiques along the riverfront park system. The City of Beloit prides itself on providing state-of-the-art municipal services with a strong emphasis on customer service.
Including the Fire Chief, the Beloit Fire Department is staffed by 61 personnel. Personnel from the rank of Firefighter through Captain are represented by the International Association of Firefighters Local 583. The department provides full Fire, EMS (ALS), Fire Prevention and Special Teams Operations. Currently the senior staff consists of an Assistant Chief and two Deputy Chiefs. The Assistant Chief is assigned to a shift as a shift commander – both Deputy Chiefs are also shift commanders. Each shift has a Captain (headquarters) and two Lieutenants (outlying stations) as the remainder of the supervisory staff. In 2018, the department responded to 8,332 total calls for service (4,691 EMS/Rescue and 3,641 Fire/Service calls). The City is seeking an experienced professional with the following attributes:
- Innovation: Bring fresh ideas to the organization and offer unique perspectives and experiences as well as a capability and desire to monitor the forefront of industry advances and assess adaptation and application to Beloit.
- Energy: Provide enthusiasm and focused energy to all projects and a passion for service to the community.
- Expertise and Intellectual Curiosity: Bring extensive knowledge of Fire and EMS strategy, operation and innovation and a passion for continuous learning and improvement.
- Versatility: Play an important role in coordinating, facilitating, and managing projects that require involvement across multiple service areas with a balance of trust and delegation.
- Leadership: Be dedicated to effective leadership and building collaborative and positive relationships with those he or she leads and other staff members and outside organizations in the region. Building and actively working to sustain high trust relationships is paramount.
- Engaging Perspective: Demonstrates a balance of commitment to the organization as well as the senior management team of the city with a genuine confidence and approachable personality.
Other attributes include:
- Desire to be a part of a great team.
- The ability to focus on local and regional issues and staffing models with an emphasis and experience in police/fire collaborative dispatch operations, emergency management, and a strong collaborative incident management perspective.
- Strong background in collective bargaining with demonstrated skills in relationship building.
Successful candidates shall possess a bachelor’s degree fire science/fire management, public administration or a related field from an accredited college/university. A master’s degree preferred. The position requires 5-7 years of responsible and varied senior management experience in a directly related fire service capacity encompassing significant responsibility for the development and administration of fire department programs, services and resources. Candidate’s successful completion of the Executive Fire Officer Program offered by the National Fire Academy is desired. The annual starting salary range for this position is $125,000 +/-, depending upon qualifications. The City of Beloit also offers an attractive benefits package.
Interested professionals should submit a resume, cover letter and contact information for five (5) professional references by January 24, 2020 to consultant Tim Sashko at: www.GovHRjobs.com
THE CITY OF BELOIT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER (www.beloitwi.gov
Electronic submissions are required. Telephone inquiries: GovHR USA (847) 380-3240.
Posted:Dec 2, 2019