Blaine, MN (population 70,979), a rapidly growing community located in the northwest metro of the Twin Cities, situated only 11 miles from downtown Minneapolis, seeks candidates with strong skills in project and budget management and a full range of experience in public works operations for its next Deputy Director of Public Works.
The Deputy Director of Public Works will oversee the Division Supervisors for daily operations and maintenance of streets, parks, water, sewer, and storm sewer infrastructure. The Deputy Director will work with the Director of Public Works in developing a long-term vision and plan for the department and must be a highly collaborative, pro-active and innovative leader.
The City of Blaine encompasses 34 square miles and is the 10th largest city in Minnesota. The Public Works Department includes 56 FTEs in the divisions of Asset Management, Water, Sewer and Storm Sewer, Streets Maintenance, Parks Maintenance, and Fleet Services represented by a collective bargaining agreement. An additional 15-20 seasonal employees are added each year.
Blaine currently owns and operates 23 wells, 32 lift stations and four water treatment facilities. The city is also responsible for approximately 290 centerline miles of paved roadway, over 170 miles of sidewalks and trails, and 67 municipal parks with over 755 acres that provide a variety of activities.
The full Public Works operations budget for 2023 is $8.5 million. The water utility budget is $20.1 million, the sewer utility budget is $25.6 million, and the stormwater utility budget is $6.4 million.
- Bachelor’s degree in public works administration, public administration, business administration, civil engineering or closely related field. A master’s degree or PE is a plus.
- Five years of experience in public works management, engineering, construction management or infrastructure maintenance and operations.
- Five years of supervisory level experience.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
The Ideal Candidate Will Be:
- A collaborative leader, able to form cooperative working relationships with a wide variety of internal and external stakeholders.
- Able to develop, mentor and coach staff.
- A skilled project manager, able to manage multiple and complex projects and budgets.
- Experienced in all areas of public works, with specific experience in water, wastewater, and stormwater management.
- Highly responsive to community concerns, needs, and inquiries.
- Knowledgeable and up to date with best practices for public works management and service delivery and capable of implementing the same in an organization.
- Experienced working with union labor agreements and employees.
Compensation and Benefits
The expected hiring range for the position is $120,550 to $138,632 DOQ. The full compensation range for the position is $120,550 to $156,700. The City of Blaine provides an excellent benefits package.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should apply online by May 12, 2023, with resume, cover letter and contact information for five work-related references to the attention of Charlene Stevens, Senior Vice President, GovHR USA, Tel: (847) 380-3240 Ext 124. The City of Blaine, MN is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Application Deadline: May 12, 2023