Town Manager, Bloomfield, CT (21,000) The Town of Bloomfield is seeking a communicative, trustworthy, and visionary leader to serve as its next Town Manager. Bloomfield is a suburban town located in Hartford County, Connecticut. The town has a diverse majority-minority population which reflects a mix of ethnic backgrounds and ages that takes pride in being a welcoming and inclusive community. The town has a rich history dating back to the 17th century when it was settled as part of the Connecticut Colony. The town played a role in the American Revolutionary War and was incorporated in 1835. Over the years, it evolved from an agricultural community to a thriving suburban area with a strong industrial presence in the 19th and 20th centuries. Bloomfield's history is also marked by its contributions to the aerospace industry, with several major aerospace companies located in the area.
With its picturesque New England charm, friendly community, and convenient proximity to both Hartford and Bradley International Airports, it offers the perfect blend of suburban tranquility and urban accessibility. Bloomfield boasts excellent schools, lush parks, and a thriving local economy, making it an ideal place to raise a family or start a new chapter in life. From its historic town center to the diverse dining options and cultural events, there's always something exciting happening in Bloomfield. Wintonbury Hills, the local public golf course, has recently been named the #1 public course in Connecticut. Come experience the welcoming atmosphere, natural beauty, and countless opportunities that await you in this vibrant Connecticut town – you won't be disappointed!
The Town Council appoints a full-time Town Manager to carry out the policies it establishes and to oversee the day-to-day administrative operations of town government. The Town Manager is also responsible for preparing the $100M + general fund budget and administering personnel. Each town department is managed by a Department Director, who reports directly to the Town Manager.
Under the Council-Manager form of government, Bloomfield is a full-service community with approximately 660 full-time Town employees, most of whom are covered by civil service and collective bargaining agreements. The annual Town budget is approximately $100+ million General Fund budget. The Town Manager is appointed by and reports to a seven-member Town Council.
Learn more about the Municipal Organization:
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications or be able to demonstrate an equivalent combination of education and experience to perform the functions of the position:
- A Master’s in Public Administration or related field and a minimum of eight years of experience in public administration, with a minimum of five years in a senior management capacity.
- Preference will be for Town Managers/Administrators, Assistants and Department Heads with large municipal operations and knowledge of all Town functions. Experience in labor relations is required.
- Ability to develop strong working relationships and interact with elected officials, senior staff, boards and commissions, employees, and other stakeholders in a positive and professional manner.
- Excellent communication skills including the proven ability to engage others and to keep the Mayor, Trustees and staff members informed. The ability to clearly present and defend concepts, explain operations and finances, and respond to resident and stakeholder inquiries in a timely and efficient manner.
- A disciplined, collaborative, and calm leader who can effectively lead by example in a diverse, multicultural community and who may present conflicting viewpoints on significant issues. The next Manager must be able to engage and listen to varying points of view and actively engage and empower residents to participate in the local governing process.
The Town has established a total compensation range of $175,000 to $200,000 +/- DOQ with a competitive benefits package commensurate with qualifications and experience. The Town of Bloomfield’s Charter requires the Manager to reside in Bloomfield. The Town is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer, committed to a diverse workforce and women, minorities and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
To apply, submit résumé, cover letter, and contact information for five professional references by October 31, 2023, online to Joellen J. Cademartori, CEO, GovHR USA, LLC. Questions regarding the recruitment may be directed to Ms. Cademartori at 847-380-3238.
Application Deadline: October 31, 2023