Bradley, IL (pop. 15,282). Live, work, play, and grow with Bradley! Situated just 50 miles south of Chicago in Kankakee County, Bradley is ripe for growth. The Village has steadily emerged as a primary shopping hub for the region and includes many well-known retail businesses, supermarkets, and countless dining establishments. Easy transportation access is provided via US Interstate #57. Travel options to Chicago and northern suburbs include the Metra Electric Line, which is accessible via a short drive to the University Park station. Travel time to and from Midway Airport and Chicago’s downtown metro area is just 70 minutes. Given the relative affordability of homes in the Village (the median home value is $139,000), Bradley is attractive to first-time home buyers, with the median age of the population at 36.
The Village operates as a non-home rule entity and consists of a Mayor and six at-large Trustees. The day-to-day operations are managed by a Village Administrator who oversees an organization of 86 full-time employees and over 35 part-time/seasonal staff in six Departments: Administration, Building Standards, Fire, Police, IT, and Public Works. The Village enjoys a strong AA- bond rating from Standard and Poor’s and operates on a May 1 fiscal year. The FY 2024 budget is just over $40M across all funds, with a General Fund of approximately $22M.
The Village is seeking a finance professional with strong interpersonal skills, attention to detail, and preferred experience in public finance to serve as the Assistant Finance Director. The successful candidate will report to the Finance Director and will be considered a primary candidate to replace him upon his retirement from the Village in the near-term future. The position will perform a variety of complex professional and administrative tasks, assisting the Director in developing, planning, organizing, overseeing, and managing the Village's Finance Department.
- Assists the Director in managing the Finance Department and providing comprehensive supervision to all Finance staff.
- Maintains and reviews financial records (i.e., bank reconciliations, journal entries, accounts payable, wire transfers, etc.) for accuracy, ensuring accounting system is consistent with established and generally accepted accounting principles and procedures.
- Monthly reconciliation of bank accounts and all investments, preparing general ledger entries while maintaining the accuracy of cash and investments.
- Prepares 941 tax deposits, quarterly and annual federal and state payroll tax returns, W-2 forms, and all other payroll tax related requirements.
- Assists Director in preparation and presentation of the annual budget and capital projects budget.
- Maintains personnel records, to include initial on-boarding of new employees.
- Assist in the coordination of the external audit, including preparing audit schedules, updating the notes to the financial statements, coordinating audit timeline, and facilitating audit requests.
- Prepares and analyzes monthly financial reports, including variance analysis.
The successful candidate will have:
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Business Administration, Finance, or a closely related field.
- Minimum four years’ experience in technical accounting work, preferably some experience in government accounting.
- Must have the ability to work independently with great customer service skills and experience working with Microsoft Excel and Word.
- Experience with BS&A Financial Software a plus
Compensation and Benefits
The starting salary for the position is +/- $85,000 and will be commensurate with knowledge, skills and experience. The Village of Bradley provides a comprehensive employee benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, and life insurance and retirement benefits through the Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund (IMRF). The Village of Bradley also provides paid vacation, personal, sick days, and holidays. Flexible work schedules and remote work opportunities are available on a limited basis.
Apply online immediately with a resume, cover letter and contact information for five professional references. Position is open until filled with the first review of applications on December 7, 2023. Confidential inquiries may be directed to Maureen Barry, Senior Vice President, GovHR USA at 847-380-3240, x116.
The Village of Bradley is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled