The Village of Cary, IL (17,826), a vibrant, family focused community, is seeking a progressive, highly capable Director of Public Works and Engineering who will steward the department, demonstrating vision and creativity. Cary, a non-home rule community governed by a Mayor and six (6) Trustees who are elected at large, is located in southeast McHenry County and is known for its highly rated schools, financial stability and numerous outdoor recreational amenities. The Village organization, supported by 60 full-time employees and 6 part-time employees, consists of the following departments: Public Works, Police, Finance, Management Services and Community Development.
The Public Works and Engineering Director, who is appointed by the Mayor with the advice and consent of the Board of Trustees, reports to the Village Administrator and is charged with the maintenance of the Village’s infrastructure systems and the administration of all Public Works and Engineering programs and activities. The Department has a General Fund budget of $2 million and $8.5 million in the Water/Sanitation Fund supporting the activities of 22 full-time employees. The successful candidate will be an approachable leader who will readily share their knowledge and experience while delegating with accountability. Three employees report directly to the position: Assistant to the Director, Deputy Director (Water and Wastewater) and Superintendent (Operations and Maintenance). The prior Director also served as the Village Engineer. At present, outside consulting services are supporting a majority of engineering services. The next Director must continue to deploy the Department’s staff to maximize the use of its resources and provide excellent public works and engineering services. Projects on the horizon include a Downtown Redevelopment effort, phase 1 engineering for a new downtown access road, the design and construction of a new well and drinking water treatment plant, and significant roadway and water/sanitation efforts.
The Village is seeking a resourceful, collaborative, and motivating Director with excellent interpersonal skills to lead the Public Works Department. The successful candidate will have the following:
- Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering, environmental engineering/environmental sciences, urban planning, public administration, or related field is required, with a strong preference for an Illinois Registered Professional Engineer.
- Minimum of seven years’ experience in increasingly responsible experience in public works operations, civil or environmental engineering, transportation planning, or related field, including at least three (3) years of supervisory responsibility.
- Knowledge of materials, practices and equipment used in all facets of public works operations is recommended including drinking water production/distribution, wastewater collection/treatment, street maintenance (ROW, Forestry), stormwater, fleet and facilities maintenance.
- Skills in project management; preparation and administration of a capital improvement plan and budget; forecast and guiding operational needs are highly desirable.
- Strong oral and written communication skills, strategic planning abilities, and a demonstrated proficiency and enthusiasm for working closely with other Village staff and elected officials.
Compensation and Benefits
The anticipated starting salary is $155,000 +/– based on qualifications and experience. Residency is not required. The Village offers exceptional benefits, including membership into the Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund (IMRF), a vehicle allowance, optional 457 deferred compensation plans, and a menu of health plans.
Apply online with a resume, cover letter and contact information for five professional references by May 12, 2023. Confidential inquiries may be directed to Kathleen (Katy) Rush, Vice President, GovHR USA at 847-380-3240.
The Village of Cary is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Application Deadline: May 12, 2023