Bellefonte, PA (pop. 158,172). Located in the heart of Central Pennsylvania, Centre County is home to Penn State University, the historic towns of Boalsburg & Bellefonte, and University Park & State College.
Centre County offers visitors and locals alike plenty to do year-round. Cultural and recreational opportunities include world-class concerts at PSU’s on-campus theaters, live theatre and dance performances, historic site tours and museums, hiking & biking trails, fishing & boating in the area’s many lakes and rivers, and winter recreation at Tussey Mountain, among many others. Families will find Centre County ideal for its excellent educational opportunities and quality of life.
With a 2022 total budget of $107.8M, including a capital budget of $1.4M, the County provides administrative, criminal justice, human services, judiciary, property and tax, and public safety/emergency services to residents. The County currently employs 525 full-time employees and 42 part-time/seasonal employees.
About the Position
The Director of Budget and Finance (the “Director”) is responsible for the planning, organizing, coordinating, and directing of the County’s financial activities including budgeting, financial planning, accounting, auditing, and contract management. As a critical member of the management team, the Director heads the Financial Management Department and reports to the County Administrator, subject to appointment by the Board of Commissioners.
The County is in a solid financial position, due to its conservative spending approach and focus on improved management and organizational effectiveness. Its last bond issue was given a ‘AA’ rating from Standard & Poor’s.
Key responsibilities for the position include:
- Manages the preparation of the County’s annual operating and capital budgets. Coordinates budgetary information with Controller, Treasurer, and other elected officials and department heads; amends budget as approved by Commissioners.
- Develops and updates a multi-year operating and capital budget.
- Develops and provides monthly financial and statistical reports including analyses of monthly closings, cash flow analysis, and actual expenditures vs. budget.
- Manages the County’s purchasing and inventory control procedures.
- Develops and implements accounting and financial management policy and procedure.
- Works in coordination with the Controller and Treasurer to ensure appropriate monitoring of County finances. Maintains a working relationship with the Controller’s and Treasurer’s offices and all departments regarding financial management matters.
The next Director will be a dependable, detail-oriented, local government professional. The successful candidate will have:
- Bachelor’s Degree in accounting, finance, or related field.
- Masters in related field, CPFO and/or CPA preferred.
- Minimum 5 years progressive experience in financial administration and management procedures, with minimum 3 years of supervisory experience; or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- Working knowledge of automated accounting systems and relevant technology.
- Knowledge of rules and regulations governing financial management, preferably in Pennsylvania, and Government Accounting Standards Board (GASB) and Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Experience working in a government entity preferred.
Compensation and Benefits
The salary range is $109,534 – $153,365 DOQ. Centre County has one of the best benefit packages in the area. A comprehensive defined benefits package includes, but is not limited to, contributions to medical, dental, vision, life insurance, participation in the Pennsylvania Local Government Employees' Retirement System, and paid leave time. Employees must live within 45 minutes of the County’s Bellefonte office building.
Apply online with a resume, cover letter and contact information for five professional references. Position is open until filled. Confidential inquiries are encouraged and should be directed to Maureen Barry, Senior Vice President, GovHR USA at 847-380-3240, x116.
Centre County embraces diversity in our community as well as our workforce and is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled