Charleston, IL (17,286) – The City of Charleston, Illinois is seeking a team-oriented, flexible, and likable public works professional who desires to serve as an Assistant Public Works Director and train under the current Public Works Director to succeed him in the next few years.
Charleston is the County Seat in Coles County, Illinois, and is the home of Eastern Illinois University. Charleston is in central Illinois at the intersection of State Route 16 and State Route 130. Charleston is just minutes away from I-57 and is three hours south of Chicago, IL, two hours east of St. Louis, Missouri, and two hours west of Indianapolis, Indiana. Given its strategic location, Charleston serves as a regional draw for retail, health care, recreation, and industry.
Charleston is home to several diverse large employers that contribute to the city’s economic stability and quality of life in the community. Eastern Illinois University serves as the community’s largest employer and is considered a tremendous community partner. Sarah Bush Lincoln Hospital located on State Route 16 is another tremendous community partner that provides top-of-the-line health care for the region. Vesuvius, Rural King, and Charleston School District #1 provide numerous employment opportunities.
The City of Charleston is a statutory City Manager Form of Government where the City Manager is appointed by the Mayor and City Council. The Assistant Public Works Director assists with the oversight of a full-service Public Works Department and reports directly to the Director of Public Works. The current Assistant Director of Public Works is leaving the City after decades of municipal service. The Public Works Department includes 38 team members. The Department includes Utilities, Engineering, Streets, Wastewater Treatment Plant, and the Water Treatment Plant.
The City described success for the next Assistant Public Works Director as a manager who can keep projects under budget and on schedule. A leader who invests in their team by advocating for professional development and one who fosters a great work environment.
- Assists with the oversight of operations and personnel within the Public Works Department.
- Represents the Public Works Director in his absence or as requested.
- Oversees the operations and personnel within the Public Works Department in the Director’s absence.
- Coordinates mapping and special projects.
- Oversees right-of-way, easement, and property research.
- Assists with the development of the annual departmental operations and capital budget.
- Assists with the preparation of long-range operational and capital planning.
- Assists with the preparation, implementation, and enforcement of departmental policies and procedures.
- Assists with the oversight and administration of collective bargaining agreements.
The City is seeking a cooperative and approachable professional with proficient team building and public speaking skills. The Public Works Director is also particularly interested in candidates who have capital project construction management and oversight experience.
Ideal Candidate will possess:
- A Bachelor’s Degree in civil engineering from an accredited university.
- Must be a Professional Engineer.
- Must be able to possess a valid Driver’s License.
- An IDOT CE3 Classification or above is desirable.
- Seven years of public works experience.
- Three years of progressive management experience.
- Knowledge of computer-based drafting.
- Knowledge of Geographic Information Systems.
Compensation and Benefits:
The anticipated starting annual salary range is between $95,000 and $120,000 + or – based on education and previous experience. Residency in the Charleston School District is required for this position. This is a full-time, exempt position with the City. Charleston offers an extremely competitive and comprehensive benefits package that includes very affordable medical and dental coverage (also available to dependents), life insurance, Flexible Spending Account, Health Savings Account, sick leave, personal days, and vacation leave. Charleston also offers paid holidays, professional development, and retirement through the Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund (IMRF).
Interested Candidates should email their resume, cover letter, and contact information for five professional references to email@example.com.
The City of Charleston is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Diversity and inclusion are critical to our success. We seek to recruit the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool and strongly encourage women, people of color, LGBTQ individuals, people with disabilities, and veterans to apply.