Austin Water - City of Austin
Chief Information Officer – Austin Water, City of Austin, Texas (950,807). A rapidly growing and vibrant community located at the edge of Texas Hill Country, Austin is one of the country’s most popular and culturally dynamic cities. With rolling terrain of limestone bluffs, rivers and lakes, Austin was selected as the #1 Best Places to live in the U.S. by U.S. News & World Report in 2019.
A century-old utility owned and operated by the City of Austin, Austin Water serves over one million customers. Its core mission is to provide safe, reliable, high-quality and affordable water services. The utility draws water from the Colorado River into three regional water treatment plants.
Austin Water is seeking a highly qualified individual to fill the Chief Information Officer – Utility position (CIO). This executive position will report to the Director of Austin Water and will be responsible for three divisions: Applications, Data and Analytics; Infrastructure; and Geographic Information Services (GIS). Additionally, the Utility’s Chief Information Officer acts as the Chief Technology Officer for the department, to include IT, Supervisory Control & Data Acquisition (SCADA), and Physical Security following the NIST Critical Infrastructure security framework.
Austin Water’s CIO directs the planning, development and implementation of policy regarding technology issues for the department and ensures that citywide IT strategic direction is translated into tactical projects to produce the desired outcome at the departmental level, and participates in strategic citywide governance councils and committees. The CIO oversees a department of 45 full-time personnel. Austin Water’s IT services are responsible for specifying, managing and maintaining more than 1,400 end-user devices that include a wide array of desktop, tablet, laptop and rugged computers. The CIO oversees a $10.8 million operating budget.
The position requires:
- Experience developing, communicating and implementing a clear vision and strategic direction including multi-year business plans for enterprise-wide IT solutions while managing change initiatives, directing process improvement efforts and leading tactical implementation with goals of efficiency, cost reduction, and excellent service delivery.
- Broad experience in the functional IT areas of Asset Management and Work Order Systems, Data Center, Systems Support (desktop server), GIS, Applications Development, Wireless Communications, Cloud Technologies, Mobility, Network and Cyber Risk Management.
- Experience supporting a field organization as well as the business environment.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate complex technical information to a broad range of stakeholders with various levels of technical competency.
Minimum requirements include:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major coursework in a field related to information/computer science, plus five years experience in a related field including two years management experience. A Master’s degree in a related field may substitute for two years of the required experience.
- Ability to obtain a valid Texas Class C driver’s license.
Starting salary: $119,142 to $157,872 +/- plus exceptional benefits. Candidates should apply by July 23, 2021 (open until filled). Apply at the following address: https://www.austincityjobs.org/postings/89871
Handling this recruitment for Austin Water, and where additional information can be found, is GovHR USA. Lee Szymborski, Senior Vice President, GovHR USA, 630 Dundee Road, #225, Northbrook, IL 60062. Tel: 847-380-3240 Ext 103. The City of Austin is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
For more information, contact:
847-380-3240 Ext 103