Posting Title: Administrative Specialist
Job Requisition Number: COA088981
Position Number: 104546
Job Type: Full-Time
Division Name: Pipeline Management Services:
Education and/or Equivalent Experience:
• Graduation with a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four (4) year college or university with major course work in Business or Public Administration or related field, plus four (4) years experience in a professional/administrative capacity.
• Experience may substitute for education up to a maximum of four (4) years.
Licenses or Certifications:
Notes to Applicants:
This position works in a team environment with a common purpose for which its team members are mutually accountable to each other. This is maintained through peer reviews and rotating job responsibilities to ensure an understanding of how each team member contributes to the shared goal and to support professional growth and development opportunities.
Working with Austin Water provides a number of benefits including medical, paid leave time, a great retirement plan, training opportunities and more! Click HERE for more information.
When completing the City of Austin employment application:
• Please be sure to detail on the application all previous employment that you wish to be considered as part of your qualifications. Please include contact information from previous employers.
• A detailed, complete employment application is required. It helps us to better evaluate your qualifications and will be used to determine salary if you are selected for this position. Be sure to provide job title and employment dates for all jobs you wish to be considered. Please refer to the preferred qualifications listed in this posting when completing the “Duties and Responsibilities” section for each job listed on your application, describing which of the preferred qualifications were used for that position including any related software used.
• A resume is required but will not substitute for a complete employment application. Please do not use the phrase “see resume” or refer to other documents to complete your application. Do not leave the “Duties and Responsibilities” sections blank. These will be considered incomplete applications. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
• A cover letter is also required. In the cover letter candidates should describe, in a concise detail, their interest in this position and highlight any prior experience that is relevant to this position.
If you are selected to interview:
• Your skill level in Microsoft Excel and Outlook will be assessed, with a required minimum passing score of 70%.
90 Day Provision for Additional Vacancy:
This posting may also be used to fill additional Administrative Specialist positions within the Pipeline Operations workgroup. Location, shift and work group assignments will be determined at the time of hire, based on business need.
• Tim Louviere Service Center: 6301-B Harold Ct, Austin, TX 89721
• Webberville Service Center: 2600 Webberville Rd, Austin, TX 78702
• Summit Labs: 14050 Summit Dr. Ste 121, Austin, TX 78728
• Glen Bell Service Center: 3907 South Industrial Blvd Austin, TX 78744
• South First Support Center: 3616 S. 1st Street, Austin, TX 78704
If you are selected as a top candidate:
• Verification of your education (which may include high school graduation or GED, undergraduate and/or graduate degrees) is required. You must provide proof of education from an accredited organization or institution. You must also provide proof of your professional licenses or certifications.
• If you are in the military or are a military veteran, you will need to provide a copy of the Member 4 page of your DD-214 prior to confirming a start date.
• A criminal background investigation is required.
If you are selected for this position and meet the Driver Safety Standards in the City of Austin Driver Safety Program, you may drive when necessary to multiple locations as part of your regular job duties. Otherwise, you are responsible for getting to and from these locations.
All Austin Water worksite locations are tobacco-free. Use of tobacco products and/or e-cigarettes is not permitted on any AW worksite – including construction sites, parking lot, garage or in any personal vehicle located on the premises.
Pay Range: $23.62 – $27.42
Hours: 7:30 AM – 4:00 PM, Monday – Friday, with some flexibility on start and end time.
This position offers 2 days a week telework option
Job Close Date: 05/19/2023
Type of Posting: External
Department: Austin Water Utility
Grant Funded or Pooled Position: Not Applicable
Location: See Notes to Applicants
• Experience with complex timekeeping, including providing guidance on policies, verifying timecards, and entering payroll data into an automated timekeeping system such as ADP, PeopleSoft or Banner
• Experience processing accounts payable, to include working with other departments and vendors to meet strict payment deadlines and using the City of Austin’s AIMS or eCombs systems, or other similar financial management software
• Experience using Adobe Acrobat, or similar, to create, edit and export PDF’s and create fillable forms and proficient in utilizing Microsoft Outlook, Teams, Excel, Word, SharePoint, and screen capture software, creating documentation (such as SOPs, operations manuals, etc.)
• Experience with records management and retention
• Effectively communicates clearly and concisely with internal and external customers while exercising tact, patience, and discretion in a professional manner
• Experience using chat-based collaboration platforms
• Ability to travel to more than one work location
• Experience supporting a team that responds during times of emergency, after-hours and for extended periods
Duties, Functions and Responsibilities: Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following. Other related duties may be assigned.
1. Provides administrative support on highly technical and/or specialized projects.
2. Facilitates the handling of time sensitive request such as ORR’s (Open Records Request), CAF’s (Citizen Action Forms), RCA’s (Request for Council Action) as well as other confidential documents.
3. Verifies accuracy and completeness of critical documents such as PIO (Public Information Office) requests, records, correspondence, regulations, etc.
4. Opens, sorts, reads, prioritizes and routes incoming mail, including faxes and emails.
5. Prepares memos, letters and other correspondence using computer, spreadsheets, databases, or presentation software.
6. Using independent judgment performs data analysis, problem solving and recommends policy and administrative improvements.
7. Conducts research, compiles data, and prepares documents for consideration and presentation.
8. Files and retrieves documents, records and reports.
9. Attends meetings, records minutes and distributes meeting notes.
10. Maintains calendar, schedules meetings, conferences and events, plans travel itineraries and makes travel arrangements.
Responsibilities – Supervision and/or Leadership Exercised:
• May provide leadership, work assignments, evaluation, training and guidance to others.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Must possess required knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience and be able to explain and demonstrate, with or without reasonable accommodations, that the essential functions of the job can be performed.
• Knowledge of applicable processes, techniques, and methods.
• Knowledge of City practice, policy and procedures.
• Skill in oral and written communication.
• Skill in using computers and related software applications.
• Skill in handling multiple tasks and prioritizing.
• Skill in data analysis and problem solving.
• Skill in planning and organizing.
• Ability to work with frequent interruptions and changes in priorities.
• Ability to manage conflicts and concerns.
• Ability to understand and communicate technical information.
• Ability to exercise discretion in confidential matters.
• Ability to recognize and recommend process improvement.
• Ability to lead and train others.
• Ability to work with frequent interruptions and changes in priorities.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with city employees and the public.
Criminal Background Investigation: This position has been approved for a Criminal Background Investigation.
EEO/ADA: City of Austin is committed to compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act. If you require reasonable accommodation during the application process or have a question regarding an essential job function, please call (512) 974-3210 or Texas Relay by dialing 7-1-1.
The City of Austin will not discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, creed, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, age, religion, veteran status, disability, or sexual orientation. In addition, the City will not discriminate in employment decisions on the basis of an individual’s AIDS, AIDS Related Complex, or HIV status; nor will the City discriminate against individuals who are perceived to be at risk of HIV infection, or who associate with individuals who are believed to be at risk.
Information For City Employees: If you are an employee within the department, are in good standing and meet both the minimum and preferred qualifications, then you will receive an initial interview.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
1. * The minimum qualifications for the Administrative Specialist position are: Graduation with a Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four (4) year college or university with major course work in Business or Public Administration or related field, plus four (4) years experience in a professional/administrative capacity. Experience may substitute for education up to a maximum of four (4) years. Do you meet these minimum qualifications?
1. * Which best describes your experience in using a timekeeping/payroll system.
• Expert in using Banner timekeeping/payroll system
• Expert in using the a timekeeping/payroll system, not Banner
• Some experience in using Banner or another timekeeping/payroll system
• No experience
1. * Do you have working knowledge of financial software such as AIMS and E-COMBS?
1. * Which of the following software are you proficient using?
• Adobe Acrobat
• Microsoft Outlook
• Microsoft Teams
• Microsoft Excel
• Microsoft Word
• Microsoft SharePoint
• Screen Capture Software
1. * What type of records management experience do you have, if any?
• Filing and indexing
• Filing, indexing, and archiving
• Filing, indexing, archiving, and disposition
• Filing, indexing, archiving, disposition, and management of a records control schedule
1. * How many years of experience do you have communicating effectively in a professional setting with a variety of stakeholders, and using a variety of communication methods (in-person, phone, email, etc.)?
• Less than 1 year
• 1-2 years
• 3-4 years
• 5 or more years
1. * Do you have the ability to travel to multiple sites as part of the regular job duties?
1. * Do you have experience supporting a team that responds during times of emergency, after-hours and for extended periods?
1. * This position requires a criminal background check. By selecting the following, you are acknowledging that you understand if you are selected as a top candidate for this position, you will need a successful Criminal Background Investigation (CBI) to be hired.
• I acknowledge and understand this position requires a Criminal Background Investigation (CBI).
1. * Were you referred to this opportunity by an Austin Water employee? If yes, please provide the employee’s full name.
2. (Open Ended Question)
Optional & Required Documents
1. Cover Letter
For more information, contact:
To apply for this job please visit www.austincityjobs.org.