Salary Range: $162,696.12 – $244,044.18/annually
*Starting salary is dependent upon qualifications, but in most cases is no higher than the midpoint for range.
NATURE OF WORK:
This position is one of two (2) Deputy City Manager positions within the City and serves on the City Manager’s Executive Leadership team. We are embarking on many exciting initiatives throughout both the community and within the organization and want a new talent to help take our culture of innovation, leadership, and constant improvement to the next levels. The job description talks about some of the key components of the position but it does not fully paint the dynamic talents we are hoping to add to our progressive team. Under the direction of the City Manager, the Deputy City Manager is responsible for managing and overseeing the activities and operations of assigned City Departments. Provides leadership, guidance, and administrative support to the City Manager and may serve as Acting City Manager in the Manager’s absence. This fast-paced position requires a working knowledge of City and departmental policies and procedures as well as the vision and foresight to help the City achieve its mission of being the most livable City in America and help the community sustain that distinction..
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS (Specific assignment will include some or all of the following):
● The Deputy City Manager reports directly to and assists the City Manager in overseeing and working with the eleven City departments to achieve departmental and city-wide objectives, initiate and oversee strategic plans, and execute Mayor and City Council policy initiatives and priorities.
● Oversees the day-to-day operations of several Divisions of the City Manager’s Office.
● The Deputy City Manager will play a leading role in developing and overseeing the City’s internal and external social justice and diversity, equity, and inclusion strategies.
● Provides highly responsible administrative staff assistance to the City Manager; assists in developing, planning, and implementing goals and objectives for the City.
● Represents the City and City Manager to staff, elected officials, outside agencies, and community groups.
● Participates in the development and monitoring of the budget and other City plans.
● Develops and implements City policies and procedures designed to improve operations, minimize operating costs, and effect greater utilization of resources.
● Consults, advises, and supervises department heads on problems relating to overall City functions; consults with the City Manager on matters concerning major department activities.
● Reviews and plans budget estimates and proposed ordinances and regulations submitted by department heads.
● Attends City Council meetings and other City-related meetings and activities as required.
● Meets and confers with residents and business interests to remedy problems and discuss City policies and procedures; responds to and resolves sensitive inquiries and complaints from both internal and external sources.
● Assigned high-level special projects and/or other City initiatives as assigned by the City Manager.
● Serves as Acting City Manager in the City Manager’s absence.
● Confers and consults regularly with the City Manager and other City department heads and officials; makes presentations to the Evanston City Council and/or other groups as required.
● Represents the City at professional gatherings and forums.
● Conducts and attends meetings; prepares written reports; directs the keeping of records on departmental activities to align with performance management expectations.
● Assists with the compilation of preliminary and final drafts of the City budget; acts as liaison between City and community agencies funded by the City; maintains a review of departmental expenditures to ensure budget adherence.
● Oversees City projects; may act as City Manager in his/her absence.
● Performs additional duties as required or assigned.
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS OF WORK:
● Possession of a Master’s degree in Business Administration, Public Administration, or a substantially similar area from an accredited college or university preferred.
● Must possess seven (7) or more years of progressive managerial experience in municipal government, including five (5) or more years of work experience in an executive manager capacity.
● Must possess a valid driver’s license and a safe driving record.
● Knowledge, skills, and abilities in the following areas:
▪ Ability to coordinate and supervise the activities of others and provide guidance and direction to management and other personnel.
▪ Ability to communicate with professionalism to diverse groups, including the public, staff, contractors, and elected officials.
▪ Knowledge of modern principles and practices of public administration.
▪ Ability to supervise, plan, assign, coordinate and direct the work assignments of staff.
▪ Ability to follow oral and written instructions; ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure.
▪ Ability to effectively execute the City Manager’s duties as needed.
▪ Excellent communication and presentation skills.
▪ Possession of strong managerial skills and ability to develop effective partnerships.
▪ Ability to create project plans and manage multiple projects simultaneously.
▪ Analytical and problem-solving skills.
▪ Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other City officials, employees, and the general public.
▪ Ability to respond to community and City Council issues, concerns, and needs.
▪ Deep understanding of City operations, services, and activities.
▪ Knowledge of principles and practices of municipal budget preparation.
▪ Excellent organization, decision making, and time management skills.
▪ Critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
▪ Ability to adapt to changing goals and initiatives.
▪ Skilled and innovative leader and manager with proven track record of motivating, leading, and developing staff.
▪ Advanced leadership and management skills.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS OF WORK:
The ability to work in a primarily sedentary position, with the ability to occasionally use force to exert up to 20 pounds. The ability to lift, carry or otherwise move objects, books, materials, etc. using up to 10 pounds of force frequently, and/or a negligible amount of force constantly to move objects. The employee is subject to inside environmental conditions: protection from weather conditions, but not necessarily from indoor temperature changes.
There are no environmental hazards associated with this classification.
Reporting to the City Manager, the individual has contact with staff at all levels, and uses the necessary resources to meet and achieve goals and/or objectives. Work is assigned through specific projects and customer requests. The employee is responsible for prioritizing work tasks, and for identifying and utilizing the appropriate resources to resolve a problem or situation. Work performance is reviewed through observation, completion of projects, status reports, conferences and meetings. Guidance is provided through the City Code, departmental policies, City operating practices and procedures, and other resources as applicable to specific projects assigned. Work is evaluated at least annually, with respect to supervision of staff and programs, customer service, problem-solving ability and performance in accordance with this classification standard.
The employee has regular and frequent contact with the general public.
To apply for this position, please apply online at www.cityofevanston.org on or before the closing date.
Chosen candidates will be required to provide proof of licenses, certifications, and education required for this position. Candidates will also be subject to qualifying pre-employment processes, including medical examination, drug/alcohol screen, employment verification, and criminal background check.
The City of Evanston is an equal opportunity employer and ensures against discrimination in employment on the basis of a person’s race, color, sex, age, religion, disability, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation, marital status, parental status, military discharge status, source of income, housing status, or gender identity. The City of Evanston is also committed to accessibility for persons with disabilities. Any person needing mobility or communications access assistance should contact Human Resources at 847-448-8204 (voice) or 847-866-5095 (TTY).