This is a highly responsible professional position that serves as the Chief Financial Officer of the City and performs complex work involving fiscal planning, internal audit controls, budgetary controls, and cost studies. The Finance Director manages, organizes, coordinates, and performs the financial, accounting, and budgeting activities for the City, and is responsible for safeguarding the City’s financial assets, assigning, and supervising the work of the Finance Department staff, and insuring the reliability of financial information.
• Supervises and maintains internal accounting and control activities throughout the City for purposes of obtaining financial
information, controlling expenses, and maintaining required records.
• Plans for and implements the installation and development of an effective financial management and reporting system.
• Supervises the timely filing of intergovernmental financial and informational records as prescribed by federal law and Alaska
• Develops and recommends accounting policies and practices that will ascertain, maintain, and continually improve the City’s
• Assists in the creation of the annual City budget in accordance with the policy direction of the council.
• Directs the overall financial program to ensure the adequate protection of the City’s properties, funds and securities, and to
assure protection from municipal exposure to liability; ensures the City is properly reimbursed when losses arise.
• Assists department heads in the preparation and administration of the annual budget; maintains a system of responsible control
to ensure that expenditures do not exceed appropriations, in compliance with applicable Alaska statutes.
• Attends hearings on departmental budgets and other issues to provide data and determine recommended appropriations.
• Performs research and prepares fiscal impact reports and forecasts fiscal trends for recommendations of administrative and
• Assists other departments in billing and collection functions, including calculation of bills, recording and deposit of
receipts, and maintenance of customer accounts and related records.
Complete job description and application can be found on the City of Seward website.
For more information, contact:
To apply for this job please visit www.cityofseward.us.