The City of Spencer Fire Chief serves as a Department Head of the City of Spencer, under the general supervision of the City Manager, reporting to City Council. The fire Chief performs administrative and skilled firefighting duties, working to direct the activities and personnel of the Fire Department. This is important administrative work in the protection of life and property from fires, other emergency response needs of the community and in a broad knowledge of fire department administration, and modern firefighting and fire prevention methods and techniques in making proper determinations on varied work problems encountered. Administrative duties include the specifying and recommendation for purchases of equipment and supplies, preparation of annual budget estimates and effective use of personnel and equipment in carrying out firefighting activities. The employee consults with the City Manager on overall policy and planning, and receives general instructions as to work results desired, however, the Fire Chief works independently in supervising all technical operations and in seeing that the desired work results are achieved.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
– Plan and direct departmental operations with respect to equipment, apparatus and personnel; supervise the placing of such plans into effect
– Issue orders for improvement of work methods, and for enforcing rules, regulations, and Standard Operating Guidelines
– Keep informed as to personnel, property, and operations of the department
– Analyze and improve department operations
– Prepare and present budget estimates of anticipated expenditures and needs
– Direct and coordinate the work of the volunteers and full-time staff
– Assign personnel and equipment to such duties and use as the service requires
– Evaluate the need for and requisition of new apparatus, equipment and supplies
– Respond to fire alarms and direct firefighting activities
– Investigate or assign investigation of the origin and cause of fires
– Coordinate work of the department with other departments
– Enforce fire codes, laws and conduct inspections
– Conduct & coordinate the operation of departmental training of personnel
– Attend and take part in public functions for the purpose of promoting fire safety
– Update rules and regulations within department
– Supervise testing of equipment and inspection of personnel
– Receive and resolve citizen issues
– Other duties as assigned
Exemption: The Fire Chief is not expected to physically engage in active fire suppression at fire scenes but shall supervise and direct such activities.
Required Experience, Knowledge and Skills
• Thorough and broad knowledge of modern firefighting methods, and ability to apply this knowledge to varied fire control and prevention problems
• Thorough knowledge of the use and operation of a wide variety of fire, motor and auxiliary apparatus
• Comprehensive knowledge of laws, rules and regulations relating to fire control and prevention
• Thorough knowledge of the geography of the City of Spencer
• The ability to maintain and to instruct members in proper work methods or techniques in the use of fire apparatus and equipment
• Ability to plan, initiate and administer the Fire Department
• Ability to plan, assign and coordinate activities performed by a large group of employees in varied firefighting work
• Ability to work with the National Incident Management System (NIMS)
• Work with other emergency response entities on large incidents or natural disasters.
• Strong leadership and interpersonal communication skills, with ability to maintain confidentiality
• Must possess a high standard of personal character, integrity and ethics
High School Graduate with a two (2) year Fire Science Degree; or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities. Extensive experience in firefighting, including at least five (5) years responsible supervisory experience in firefighting which has afforded familiarity with all phases of departmental operations.
Climbing, bending, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, laying, reaching, standing, sitting, walking, running, pushing, pulling, lifting, grasping, feeling, talking and hearing, carrying, twisting. Ability to perform work in any position and exert force in all directions safely. Heavy work requires exertion of 100 pounds or more of force occasionally, in excess of 50 pounds of force frequently, and in excess of 20 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
All requirements are set out in the Code of Iowa and by the Spencer Civil Service Commission. Medical requirements as stated in State of Iowa Chapter 411. Experience in a combined Fire Department (full time/paid on call) preferred. The Fire Chief is required to live within five (5) miles of Spencer.
Work is performed inside or outside 365 day a year. This includes being exposed to all weather conditions, slippery surfaces, moving machinery and tools, exposure to infectious diseases and hazardous materials, radiation, noise, sharp objects, confined spaces, smoke, heights, mechanical and electrical hazards, noxious odors.
• Medical: Low Deductible plan, 100% paid for employee
• Dental, Vision & Life Insurance, Flexible Spending Account
• Sick & Vacation accrual; 4 personal days/fiscal year
• MFPRSI Pension
EXTENDED DEADLINE TO APPLY: June 16, 2023
TO APPLY: Email resume & cover letter to: Jessica Wright, Human Resources Director, firstname.lastname@example.org
Visit our Careers page at www.spenceriowacity.com for more details. EOE.
For more information, contact:
To apply for this job please visit spenceriowacity.com.