Village of Cottage Grove, Wisconsin (pop. 8,854 est.) Strategically located just 15 minutes east of downtown Madison and one hour west of Milwaukee, Cottage Grove combines the convenience and amenities of the greater Madison area with the independence and friendliness of a small town. Rapid population growth and development, combined with an enviable lifestyle amid beautiful settings and outdoor recreation options, make Cottage Grove an exciting professional and personal choice. The Village seeks skilled public safety professionals as candidates for its next Chief of Police.
At 4.6 square miles and adjacent to I – 94, Cottage Grove is a mix of residential, retail, and recreational uses. A new Amazon fulfillment center in the Village is expected to open in 2023, adding more than 1,000 jobs to the area. The Village’s population has more than doubled in the last 20 years, and additional growth is projected. Cottage Grove is ranked the 6th safest community in Wisconsin.
The Village is a full-service municipality. The State-accredited department has 15 sworn officers and two civilian positions. Two sworn positions were added in FY 2022, and additional personnel are projected. Patrol officers and sergeants are unionized positions. The Chief manages a budget of approximately $1.8 million. In 2021, the Department responded to approximately 10,000 calls for service. Dispatch services are provided by Dane County.
The Village is seeking an adaptable law enforcement professional with an ability to provide a contemporary approach to policing in a growing community. The ideal candidate will have an inclusive managerial style, as well as clear, concise, and open communication skills.
The successful candidate will:
- Be adept at combining a hands-on management style with strong leadership, and an ability to work with a variety of stakeholders;
- Be strategic thinking and an exceptional communicator;
- Be able to thoughtfully represent the interests of the department and the Village, with a high level of community engagement.
Candidates should also have an equivalent combination of education, training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities, as outlined below:
- Seven – 10 years of service in law enforcement, including five years of supervisory and/or administrative experience in a full-time, paid police department.
- B.A. in police science, criminal justice, law enforcement, public administration, or related field; a master’s degree is preferred.
- Post college education, such as the FBI National Academy, Northwestern University School of Police Staff and Command, or Southern Police Institute is preferred.
- Certification by the Wisconsin Law Enforcement Training and Standards Board or eligibility for such certification.
The starting salary range is $105,000 – $122,000 +/- DOQ. The Village offers a competitive benefit package. The Chief is appointed by the Village’s Police Commission.
Candidates should apply by September 21, 2022 with resume, cover letter and contact information for five work-related references to www.GovHRjobs.com to the attention of Lee Szymborski, Senior Vice President, GovHR USA, 630 Dundee Road, #225, Northbrook, IL 60062. Tel: 847-380-3240. The Village is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Application Deadline: September 21, 2022
Having trouble opening PDFs? Download Adobe Reader here.