Public Works & Utilities Director – Village of Cottage Grove, Wisconsin (pop. 9,218). Strategically located just 15 minutes east of downtown Madison and one hour west of Milwaukee, Cottage Grove combines the convenience and amenities of the greater Madison area with the independence and friendliness of a small town. Cottage Grove has a mix of residential, industrial, retail, and recreational uses. Rapid growth and development, combined with an enviable lifestyle amid beautiful settings and outdoor recreation options, make Cottage Grove an exciting professional and personal choice.
The Village’s population has more than doubled in the last 20 years, and additional growth is projected. Village staff (42 full-time employees) serving this full-service municipality has doubled in the last 12 years; additional staff growth by another 50% is anticipated by the end of the decade. There are currently 10 FT public works/utilities employees.
The Public Works & Utilities Director is a direct report to the Deputy Village Administrator. The Director is responsible for day-to-day supervision of all department field staff through the Utilities and Streets Superintendents. Experience in water, sewer, stormwater, and transportation services such as road construction and maintenance is necessary. The ability to interpret plans and specifications as well as manage contracts and projects are equally important.
The successful candidate will:
- Be an energetic and ethical professional with strong technical and interpersonal skills;
- Have a record of problem solving, decisiveness and approachability;
- Adeptness at working with a variety of stakeholders including the general public, contractors, and contracted professional staff;
- Have the ability to supervise a staff with diverse expertise and experience;
- Have an inclusive managerial style, as well as clear, concise, and open communication skills.
Candidates should also have an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities, as outlined below:
- A bachelor’s or associate degree in business, public administration, engineering or closely related field or equivalent in training and experience;
- At least five years of experience in a related field, with some government experience preferred but not required.
The starting salary range is $105,000 – $120,000 DOQ. The Village offers a competitive full benefit package including the Wisconsin Retirement System and State Health Insurance plans.
Candidates should apply by December 15, 2023 with resume, cover letter, and contact information for five work-related references to the attention of David De Angelis, Senior Vice President, GovHR USA. Tel: 224-326-1280. The Village is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Application Deadline: December 15, 2023