Crest Hill, Illinois (population 20,459) is seeking qualified candidates to serve as its full-time Community and Economic Development Director.
The City is strategically located about 40 miles southwest of Chicago and is bordered by Romeoville to the north and Joliet to the South, with close access to I-55, I-80 and I-355. Crest Hill’s municipal government offices are housed in a new, state of the art, 40,000 square foot municipal building. The community has strong and diverse residential neighborhoods including the 1,100 home Carillon Lakes Senior living community, an industrial park anchored by Amazon, bustling commercial districts supported by two existing TIF Districts, and beautiful open space and well-developed park amenities. The City is actively planning a third TIF district and instituting multimillion dollar upgrades to its wastewater treatment plant to support continued desirable economic development and private investment in the community. Crest Hill is a full-service community with a staff of 68 full-time employees, a $50 million total budget, an AA bond rating, low bonded debt, and healthy reserves.
The City is seeking a highly responsible professional to join the City’s management team and lead the efforts of the Community Development Department staff, which include a Building Commissioner, two building inspectors, a planner, and two administrative support positions. This role ensures the Department’s long-term planning, private development review, building permit and code enforcement, and economic development operations provide high quality service to the community, advance important policy goals and organizational values established by the City Council. This position reports to the City Administrator.
The Community and Economic Development Director duties include:
- Fostering a culture of service, respect, and collaboration within the department, with other City departments, the Plan Commission, the City Council, and the Community.
- Providing strategic counsel and advice to the City Administrator on Community and Economic Development initiatives.
- Preparing and present professional reports and recommendations at City Council and Plan Commission meetings.
- Developing and implementing systems, processes, and procedures that eliminate inefficiencies, streamline operations and improve service delivery.
- Leading business attraction and retention efforts and serve as an ombudsman to the business community.
- Ensuring building and development related codes are interpreted and administered correctly and escalated customer complaints regarding the same are resolved in an efficient and professional manner.
- Recommending and implementing initiatives that foster desirable economic development and private investment in Crest Hill.
- Coordinating the administration of the City’s TIF Districts and the negotiation of development agreements.
- Bachelor’s degree in urban planning, real estate or economic development, business or public administration, civil engineering, architecture, or closely related field. A master’s degree is preferred.
- A minimum of 5 years of progressively responsible experience, preferably in municipal government planning, community or economic development, or a combination of education, training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skill, and ability required to perform the essential job functions.
- Certification with the Economic development Council (CECD) and/or American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) preferred. GIS experience desirable.
- Knowledge and experience implementing municipal economic development programs including tax increment financing districts, sales tax agreements, and development agreements.
Ideal Candidates will possess:
- The ability to understand local government economic conditions and excel in a team environment.
- Superior written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to supervise effectively and inspire employees to provide high-quality, professional customer service.
- Experience analyzing complex problems, recommending, and implementing solutions, and proactively addressing the information needs of the Plan Commission and City Council.
Compensation and Benefits:
The salary range for this position is $115,188 to $161,263 annually. Actual salary will be dependent on qualifications and experience. The City offers full-time employees a comprehensive benefits package including participation in the Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund, health, dental, vision and life insurances, flexible spending accounts, paid holidays and vacation, personal, sick leave. The City does not have a residency requirement.
How to Apply:
Apply online by March 11, 2024, with a resume, cover letter and contact information for five professional references to the attention of Kathleen Rush, Vice President, GovHR USA, Tel: 847-380-3240 ext. 122.
The City of Crest Hill is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Application Deadline: March 11, 2024