Dallas, Texas (Pop. 1,304,442) seeks experienced, collaborative leader for the position of Director of Water Utilities. The City desires candidates with senior executive experience in large, complex organizations. Candidates should demonstrate leadership ability in both internal, operations-focused organizations as well as with external partners. This position requires a focus on financial management and a forward-thinking approach to achieving business goals. Dallas is a highly diverse community of engaged citizens. In addition to its ethnic diversity, it is home to a wide variety of industries, businesses, educational institutions, tourist events and attractions.
The Director of Water Utilities reports to the Deputy City Manager and oversees a department that provides regional water, wastewater, and stormwater services to 2.6 million customers with an operating budget of approximately $834M and capital improvement programs of over $374M per year. The primary function for this full-time position is to oversee and direct all operations required for the implementation of the City’s long-range water supply strategies. Specific responsibilities encompass Business Operations, Customer Operations, Capital Improvement Operations, Water Delivery, Water Production, Wastewater Operations and Stormwater Operations. The City of Dallas operates under a Council-Manager form of municipal government.
The Director is responsible for approximately 1600 employees in a service culture that is guided by five core values:
- Empathy – We demonstrate compassion by listening and understanding.
- Ethics – We believe in being transparent, open and honest.
- Excellence – We are committed to continuous improvement.
- Engagement – We seek intentional connections in our communities.
- Equity – We understand the diverse needs of the community we serve.
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil or Environmental Engineering or a closely related field.
- Ten (10) plus years of work experience, including experience at managing and directing a complex organization at the executive level.
- Experience managing a large operating and capital budget including management of capital funding, cost of service, debt issuances, and revenues and rate setting.
- Master’s degree in Public Administration or related field.
- Experience with public-private partnerships.
Certification, Registration, or Licensure
- May be required to be certified, registered, or licensed in a specialty area.
The annual salary range for the Director of Water Utilities is commensurate with candidate qualifications and experience. The deadline for applications will occur on May 26, 2023. To apply, candidates must submit a comprehensive resume, cover letter and current contact information for five professional references. Candidates may contact the recruiter, Rodney Crain, Vice President, GovHR USA at 847-380-3240.
This recruitment incorporates existing rules and regulations that govern public sector recruitments in the State of Texas.
Posted: April 21, 2023