The Fox River Water Reclamation District (FRWRD) located in Elgin, Illinois and South Elgin, Illinois is seeking qualified municipal leaders with a background in wastewater and/or public works professionals as candidates for its next Executive Director.
The FRWRD is one of the largest Water Reclamation Districts in the State of Illinois. The District facilities are primarily located in Elgin, Illinois and South Elgin, Illinois. The FRWRD owns and operates three water reclamation facilities and provides wastewater treatment services to over 200,000 people within the communities of Elgin, South Elgin, West Dundee, and portions of Sleepy Hollow, Streamwood, Hoffman Estates, and surrounding areas in Kane and Cook Counties. The FRWRD Headquarters is located just a short walk from the majestic Fox River with easy access to major regional roadways such as U.S. Route 20, State Route 31, and Interstate I-90. FRWRD is just forty miles west of the Chicago Loop and only thirty miles from O’Hare International Airport. Kane County is home to several successful companies and small businesses. The top three industries in Kane County are manufacturing, retail trade, and medical/healthcare.
The Executive Director reports directly to the Board of Trustees and directs the operations of a 51-member Water Reclamation (wastewater) operation. The Director oversees four (4) Division supervisors responsible for human resources, maintenance, technical services, and operations. The District is also responsible for coordinating a variety of capital improvements as well as facilities maintenance. The Director oversees an annual operational budget of $18,000,000. The current Executive Director is well respected in the industry and the community and is retiring after sixteen years of leadership. The District is seeking a Director that is inquisitive, forward-thinking, accessible, a proven team builder, accountable, open to change, and collaborative.
- Develop and build a sense of team.
- Community involvement.
- Ability to lead a team and work with the Board of Trustees.
- Possess a working knowledge of public works and wastewater.
- Evaluate organizational needs and formulate short and long range plans to meet those needs.
- Ability to work well with multiple jurisdictions in the delivery of services.
- Oversee, negotiate, and administer multiple intergovernmental agreements.
- Proficient in public speaking.
- Oversee the District’s annual budget.
Ideal Candidate will possess:
- Knowledge, skill, and development equivalent to graduation from a four-year college or university with a degree in civil engineering, public administration, business administration, or a related field.
- A Master’s Degree in Business Administration or Public Administration is preferred, but not required. The District will consider a combination of education and experience.
- Seven (7) to ten (10) years of previous progressively responsible experience in wastewater or public utilities is required.
- Must possess or be able to possess a valid Illinois Driver’s license and be insurable under the District’s standard insurance policy.
- Three (3) years supervisory and/or management experience is required.
- Considerable knowledge in the wastewater industry, engineering, and/or chemistry.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of supervisory management and positive employee relations.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to express ideas on technical subjects clearly and concisely, including public presentations to the Board of Trustees and other stakeholders.
- Strategic planning skills: flexibility to adjust plans due to budgetary constraints, budgetary opportunities, and advances in technology.
- Large capital project management skills and experience.
- Ability to listen to and understand different perspectives.
The District encourages area regional residents that possess these ideal qualifications to apply.
Compensation and Benefits:
The anticipated starting salary range is between $160,000 and $180,000 + or – based upon education and previous experience. Residency is not required for this position. This is a full-time, exempt position with the District. The District offers an extremely competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package that includes very affordable medical, dental, and vision coverage (also available to dependents), life insurance, tuition reimbursement, and vacation leave at time of employment. The District also offers paid holidays that begin at employment, sick leave, personal days, professional development, professional memberships, as well as participation in the Illinois Municipal Retirement System (IMRF).
Interested Candidates should apply immediately online with a resume, cover letter and contact information for five professional references by October 7, 2022. Electronic submissions are required.
For questions contact:
Jim Arndt, Vice President GovHR USA
The Fox River Water Reclamation District is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Diversity and inclusion are critical to our success. We seek to recruit the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool and strongly encourage women, people of color, LGBTQ individuals, people with disabilities, and veterans to apply.
Application Deadline: October 7, 2022