Village of Glen Ellyn, IL (population 28,846) is seeking qualified public works and/or civil engineering professionals as candidates to be the Village’s first Assistant Village Engineer.
Glen Ellyn is a vibrant and historic community that is located just 23 miles west of Chicago in DuPage County and is one of the area’s premier suburbs with excellent schools, beautiful neighborhoods, a thriving downtown, and an appealing overall commercial mix of specialty boutiques and national retail outlets. The Village has several thriving commercial areas, including the historic downtown, Roosevelt Road corridor, and Stacy's Corners. The Downtown is seeing a transformation with $160M in public/private investment over a 5-year period. Future development opportunities and department priorities include: the redevelopment of the Roosevelt Road, hotel properties and a downtown bank site.
The Village of Glen Ellyn, a full service, ‘AAA’ rated home rule community, is governed by a Village President and six Trustees. A professional Village Manager oversees a staff of 132 full-time employees and 152 part time employees supporting the following departments: Police, Community Development, Finance, Human Resources, Information Services, Public Works, and Village Links Golf Course and Reserve 22 Restaurant. The calendar year budget calls for expenditures of $72 million inclusive of planned capital and debt expense of $27.1 million. The General Fund is $22.5 million.
The Assistant Village Engineer is a new position that is being created during the planned expansion of the City’s Public Works Department. The Assistant Village Engineer will report directly to the Village Engineer and assist the Village Engineer with the administration of division operations that includes personnel management and the oversight of significant capital improvement projects that includes a downtown streetscape and the construction of a new downtown train station and pedestrian underpass. The Director of Public Works is seeking an Assistant Engineer that embraces the core values of the Department:
- Be Bold
- Be True
- Learn Fast
- Give Back
- Win Together
- Direct supervision of engineering personnel.
- Administration and oversight of a robust $110,000,000 5-year Capital Improvement Program.
- Assist the Village Engineer with the day-to-day operations of the Engineering Division.
- General administrative duties to include budget oversight.
- Maintain regular contact and good working relationships with consulting engineers, construction project engineers, municipal partners, and the public.
Ideal Candidate will possess:
- Knowledge, skill, and development equivalent to graduation from a four-year college or university with a degree in construction management, civil engineering, or a related field.
- A Professional Engineer (PE) is preferred, but not required.
- Five (5) years of previous progressively responsible experience in civil engineering or construction project management is required.
- Three (3) years previous supervisory, management, experience is required.
- Seven (7) to Ten (10) years previous experience is preferred.
- Considerable knowledge of civil engineering principles and collaborating with consultants.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of supervisory management and positive employee relations.
- Outstanding project management skills with demonstrated experience in maintaining project schedules and budgets.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office Suite and GIS.
- Ability to express ideas on technical subjects clearly and concisely, including public presentations to the Village Board and community stakeholders.
Compensation and Benefits:
The anticipated starting salary range is between $110,000 to $120,000 + or – based upon education, previous experience, and professional achievement. This is a full-time, exempt position with the Village of Glen Ellyn. The Village offers an extremely competitive and comprehensive benefits package that includes medical and dental coverage (also available to dependents), life insurance, AD&D, IMRF retirement, tuition reimbursement, vacation leave, paid holidays, sick leave, and two floating holidays.
Interested Candidates should apply immediately online with a resume, cover letter and contact information for five professional references by October 26, 2022. Electronic submissions are required.
For questions contact:
Jim Arndt, Vice President GovHR USA
The Village of Glen Ellyn is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Diversity and inclusion are critical to our success. We seek to recruit the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool and strongly encourage women, people of color, LGBTQ individuals, people with disabilities, and veterans to apply.
Application Deadline: October 26, 2022