For over 100 years, the Glen Ellyn Park District has served the recreational needs of residents. The District, with a population of 37,500, is in DuPage County, just 23 miles west of Chicago. The District plays a vital role in enhancing people’s lives, creating a more connected community, and providing trusted stewardship of public lands.
The Glen Ellyn Board of Park Commissioners is seeking to hire an Executive Director who can develop a positive culture, demonstrate high ethical standards, lead by example, promote a cooperative work environment, provide motivational leadership, and champion the professional development of employees.
The successful candidate will:
- be approachable and engage with the community members, board members and all staff.
- instill a shared organizational vision and values.
- possess the communication skills and judgment necessary to clearly convey information, orally and in writing. and to make a logical and effective presentation of complex issues and concepts.
- possess active listening skills that display a sincere openness to other people’s thoughts and ideas.
- be a decision-maker who uses research based critical-thinking skills to choose a course of action or set goals.
- report to the 7-person elected Board of Commissioners, the Executive Director will implement and administer the policies adopted by the Board.
- have a valid Illinois driver’s license (or ability to regularly travel among facilities).
The Executive Director manages day-to-day operations of the District and oversees a staff of 33 full-time employees and approximately 151 part-time and 316 seasonal employees. The Glen Ellyn Park District maintains 29 parks for community use including 21 playground structures, 14 facilities, and maintains over 300 acres of open space for community enjoyment.
Experience and Education:
- Should have experience leading an organization of similar complexity and possess a broad range of experience with the diverse types of services, programs, and facilities that the Glen Ellyn Park District offers.
- Should possess at least 8-10 years of increasingly responsible management and operational experience at a parks and recreation agency, park district, municipal department or related field with experience overseeing the management of a large team of employees.
- Graduate from an accredited college or university with a bachelor’s degree in Parks and Recreation, Leisure Studies, Facility Management, Public Administration, Business, Finance, or a related field is preferred.
- Master’s degree is a plus.
- Certified Parks and Recreation Professional (CPRP) or Certified Parks and Recreation Executive (CPRE) designation is preferred.
The hiring salary range for this position is $145,000 to $195,000, DOQE. Additionally, the Glen Ellyn Park District offers an extensive benefit plan, including a defined benefit pension plan, competitive health, dental, vision and life insurance, 457 savings plan and flexible spending plan, and a variety of recreational benefits.
Apply online with resume, cover letter, and contact information for 5 professional references by Monday, May 22, 2023. Questions regarding the recruitment may be directed to Steve Scholten, Chuck Balling or Joe DeLuce, Vice Presidents, and Executive Recruiters, GovHR USA, (847)-380-3240.
The Glen Ellyn Park District is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Application Deadline: May 22, 2023