Hampshire, IL (pop. 7,667) Fast growing municipal government seeks skilled Police Chief with exceptional interpersonal skills and demonstrated leadership and management experience in municipal law enforcement. The Village of Hampshire is a family-oriented community with excellent schools and beautiful parks located 55 miles northwest of Chicago. The Village is known for its low crime rate and friendly, approachable police department. The Police Chief serves on the Manager’s executive leadership team. The current Chief is retiring after 41 years with the department.
The Hampshire Police Department consists of one (1) lieutenant, two (2) sergeants, two (2) school resource officers, eight (8) full-time patrol officers, one (1) part-time patrol officer, and one (1) part-time administrative staff. The Chief is responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of the department and carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with Village policies and applicable laws.
The Police Chief position is a highly visible position in the Village of Hampshire requiring well developed leadership abilities and management skills that are based upon consensus building and problem solving as well as a strong desire to work in a collegial, team-oriented environment. He or She must be a highly motivated, self-starting, and confident individual with excellent leadership and interpersonal skills.
Candidates should have:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college/university or equivalent experience
- Master’s degree may be a plus but is not required.
- Senior professional leadership training is desired, including Northwestern University Center for Public Safety’s School of Police Staff and Command, the Police Executive Research Forum’s Senior Management Institute for Police, the International Association of Chiefs of Police Leadership in Police Organizations program, the FBI National Academy, or comparable program.
Candidates will hold the Illinois Law Enforcement Officer’s certification or be qualified and obtain certification within 12 months of appointment.
Candidates will have:
- demonstrated responsible leadership experience in a comparable law enforcement agency,
- 10 years in police operations, three (3) of which must be in a supervisory capacity at the rank of sergeant of higher, preferably in a senior command role.
How to apply
Residency is not required. This is a full-time, FLSA exempt position. The hiring salary range is $100,000 – $135,000 +/-DOQ. The Village offers a competitive benefits package including a PPO/HMO health plan, dental, vision, and life insurance, paid time off for vacation, sick leave, membership in professional organizations, registration and travel for professional conferences, and reimbursement for related educational expenses. The Chief will also have access to a department squad car that may be used for commuting up to 30 miles from the Village limits according to IRS guidelines, unless otherwise approved by the Village resident at the time of appointment.
Candidates should apply online by November 18, 2022, with resume, cover letter and contact information for five (5) work-related references to the attention of Riccardo Ginex, Vice President, GovHR USA, 630 Dundee Road, #225, Northbrook, IL 60062. Tel: 847-380-3240.
Hampshire is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Application Deadline: November 18, 2022