HAMPTON, VIRGINIA (Population: 134,510) Located on the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay, Hampton is graced with miles of shoreline and breathtaking water views. The city is literally in the heart of the Hampton Roads region and the center of the East Coast. Stroll the streets of their vibrant, waterfront community and you will quickly see what makes Hampton a beautiful place to live, work and play.
Established in 1610, Hampton is one of America's oldest cities rich in history with small-town charm. Hampton has been recognized by Money Magazine as one of the best places to live, as well as a national model for youth development and civic engagement. Hampton is a city of firsts — the first continuous English-speaking settlement was established there, America's first free public education was offered there, and NASA trained its first astronauts in Hampton.
The city features a wide array of business and industrial enterprises, retail and residential areas, historical sites, and other points of interest, such a NASCAR short track, the oldest Anglican parish in the Americas (1610), and a moated, six-sided, historical bastion fort. Today, the people who call Hampton home are shaped by the town’s storied history.
Hampton is an independent, full-service City with sole local government taxing authority within its boundaries. It is empowered by state statute to levy property taxes on real and personal property located within its boundaries. The governing body of the City is an elected City Council composed of a mayor and six (6) council members. The City Council appoints the City Manager who acts as the Chief Executive Officer of the government.
Appointed by the City Manager, the City Assessor will plan, administer, and direct assessment activities for commercial, industrial, and residential real estate property for tax purposes and is responsible for the administration of the city-wide real estate property appraisal system. The City Assessor manages a department of 18 full-time employees with an FY23 annual budget of $1.2M and promotes collaborative and innovative procedures, processes and solutions for the department.
The city is seeking candidates who:
- Possess a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Finance, Real Estate, Business Administrator, Public Administration or in a field of study is conducive to success in this position.
- Six to nine years of progressively responsible experience in commercial, industrial, and residential property appraising, with five years of management or supervision.
- Extensive knowledge of computer-assisted mass appraisal (CAMA) systems (Pro-Val preferred), GIS and other tax-related software.
- Possess a Virginia Certified General Appraisal License and in good standing with the Virginia Department of Professional and Occupational Regulations (or have the ability to gain reciprocity from another state within 1 month of hire).
- Designation as Certified Assessment Evaluator (CAE), Mass Appraisal Specialist (MAS), and/or Assessment Administration Specialist (AAS) from the International Association of Assessing Officers is preferred.
- Certification as an Expert Witness in regard to real estate valuation in the Commonwealth of Virginia is preferred.
The advertised starting salary is $125,000 +/- DOQ/E and will be based on the candidate’s qualifications and experience. The city offers a comprehensive benefits package, including health, dental, pension, and more. The successful candidate is required to reside within the Hampton City limits within twelve (12) months of assuming the position and must continue to do so for the tenure of the position.
Apply online with a cover letter, resume, and contact information for at least five (5) professional references by December 14, 2022 to the attention of Sarah McKee, Senior Vice President, GovHR USA, 630 Dundee Road, Suite 2250, Northbrook, IL 60062. Tel: 847-380-3240, EXT 120.
The City of Hampton, VA is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Diversity and inclusion are critical to their success. They seek to recruit the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool and strongly encourage all qualified candidates to apply.
Application Deadline: December 15, 2022