The Park District of Highland Park, a suburban city approximately 25 miles north of downtown Chicago, operates nearly 800 acres of land in 44 park areas and offers over 3,000 unique recreational and seasonal programs. Facilities include an indoor ice and gymnastics arena, indoor tennis club, recreation and fitness center, nature center, 18-hole golf course and learning center, mini golf course, early childhood enrichment center, aquapark, swimming beach, dog beach, boat launch ramp and yacht club on Lake Michigan. The District has over 100 full-time employees, roughly 250 year-round part-time employees and more than 300 seasonal employees.
The Park District of Highland Park is looking for an experienced forward-thinking HR leader with technical proficiency in labor laws and their administration, project management skills, attention to detail and the ability to develop a strong and efficient HR team. This position creates a human resources vision, develops and executes strategy and sets goals and priorities to improve operational efficiencies and inspire a healthy work culture, attracting, developing and retaining talented team members and promoting inclusivity throughout the agency. The successful candidate will continuously demonstrate excellent communication and interpersonal skills, integrity, confidentiality, and judgment that inspires trust and builds positive relationships throughout the organization.
The Director of Human Resources and Workforce Development reports to the Deputy Director, serves on the senior management leadership team and is responsible for directly supervising 2 full-time positions: the Manager of Human Relations, Employee Development and Safety and the Payroll and HRIS Coordinator and indirectly supervises the Risk Manager. Major areas of responsibility include: workforce strategy (development and deployment), employee relations, performance management, recruitment, on boarding, training and retention; personnel policy development; HRIS and records management; benefits administration; legal compliance and auditing; compensation and payroll. This position also oversees the development, implementation and management of the district’s safety program including injury/illness prevention, training, safety audits, loss control, policy and procedure development and regulatory compliance.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with a major in Human Resources, Business Administration, Public Administration or closely related field, preferred.
- A minimum of at least 7 years experience in human resources management, and 3 years experience supervising full–time employees or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Related professional certification preferred, such as PHR, SPHR or SHRM-CP.
- Candidates should be committed to excellence in both external and internal customer service and a desire for ongoing innovation in human resources management and strategic organizational development.
- Candidates must have excellent communication and interpersonal skills and an inclusive/collaborative management style.
The hiring range for this position is $ 121,000 to $131,000. The Park District of Highland Park also provides an excellent benefit package, including health, dental, vision, defined benefit pension plan and a voluntary retirement plan.
Apply immediately online with your resume, cover letter, and contact information with five professional references to Chuck Balling, Vice President, and Executive Recruiter, GovHR USA, 847-380-3240 x130.
This position is open until filled with a first review of applications on March 13, 2023.
The Park District of Highland Park is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled