Village of Hoffman Estates, IL (population 53,530) is seeking a highly qualified, innovative information technology professional to be its next Information Technology (IT) Director.
A strong sense of community and a growth mindset are key reasons why Hoffman Estates has become one of Chicagoland’s premier suburbs, and why more than 53,000 residents and over 800 businesses choose to call this village home. Hoffman Estates is easily accessible via I-90, 25 miles northwest of downtown Chicago and 20 minutes from O’Hare International Airport. The Village is home to the North American or Midwest regional headquarters of major corporations such as Vistek, Siemens Medical Systems, Claire’s Accessories, DMG Morei, Tate and Lyle, Sensient Technologies, Big Kaiser Precision Tooling, and Ascension (Amita) St. Alexius. The Village’s information technology infrastructure provides service to many Village-owned facilities, including the NOW Arena, an 11,000-seat performance venue.
The IT Director leads the operations of the Information Technology department, developing and managing standards for Village-wide and departmental technology, policies, equipment and software acquisitions. The IT Director reports directly to the Assistant Village Manager and serves on the Village’s dynamic and extremely talented executive management team. The IT Director must be a forward-thinking professional who plays a significant role in developing strategic plans to ensure that all technology systems meet Village and industry standards.
- Oversees and mentors a six-member professional IT team as they provide support to over 300 computer users Village-wide, with a focus on technology planning and maintenance for Village operations.
- Directs and manages IT equipment and personnel in a manner that ensures all departments receive superior customer service support for their diverse needs.
- Provides project management for significant projects that directly impact Village technology infrastructure; actively manages consultants to ensure timely deliverables.
- Keeps abreast of new technology developments and advocates for efficiencies and constant improvement.
- Provides guidance to develop the long-range capital budget for Village-wide technology programs and initiatives.
- Prepares and tracks the IT department budget.
- Oversees the pricing and acquisition of all technology-related purchases in the Village; processes the corresponding purchase orders and invoices.
- Oversees the Village-wide computer software training program, as well as training for IT staff, to ensure knowledge of and adherence to best practices.
- Maintains communication across departmental lines to inform, assist, and learn about technology issues, plans, and programs that impact Village departments.
- Recommends appropriate maintenance strategies to ensure uninterrupted system usage; ensures that proper backup and recovery procedures are managed and executed timely.
- Ensures all systems are secure and are compatible and integrated to the highest extent possible.
Ideal Candidate will possess:
- Bachelor of Science in Business or Computer Science/Information Systems (a master’s degree is preferred, but not required).
- Four (4) to ten (10) years previous experience in systems analysis or computer operations, including three (3) years previous experience in supervision of IT personnel and three (3) years previous experience in management.
- The Village will consider a combination of education and experience.
- Experience with or knowledge of operating systems, current equipment and technologies, enterprise backup and recovery procedures, cybersecurity, and system performance monitoring.
- Experience implementing and managing cloud-based applications.
- Considerable knowledge of computer operating systems and network technologies.
- Considerable knowledge of the principles and techniques of system design, development, program planning, implementation, and evaluation.
- Focus on collaboration and communication throughout the organization.
- Curiosity and willingness to think outside the box.
- Superior understanding of the Village’s goals and objectives.
- Strategic planning skills, as well as the flexibility to adjust plans due to budgetary constraints, budgetary opportunities, and advances in technology.
- Strong team leadership, including coaching, mentoring, and performance evaluation
Compensation and Benefits:
Hiring salary range between $116,000 and $165,000 +/- DOQ, based upon education and previous experience. This is a full-time, exempt position. Residency is not required.
The Village offers an extremely competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, and vision insurance coverage (also available to dependents), flexible spending account, and voluntary participation in a deferred compensation program. Benefits program also includes 8 paid holidays with 4 additional floating holidays, paid vacation and sick time accrual, professional development, vehicle allowance, and participation in the Illinois Municipal Retirement System (IMRF).
Interested candidates should apply immediately online with a resume, cover letter, and contact information for three professional references by September 6, 2022. Electronic submissions are required.
Apply at: www.hoffmanestates.org/employment
For questions contact:
Jim Arndt, Vice President GovHR USA
The Village of Hoffman Estates is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Diversity and inclusion are critical to our success. We seek to recruit the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool and strongly encourage women, people of color, LGBTQ individuals, people with disabilities, and veterans to apply.
Posted:August 3, 2022