Indianola, IA (population 15,833), a unique and caring community located in south-central Iowa only minutes from downtown Des Moines and the Des Moines International Airport seeks collaborative, innovative, strategic leaders with excellent communication skills for its next city manager
Indianola is a full-service city with a general fund budget of $14.11 M and all funds totaling $30.6 M for 2022. The city has approximately 150 regular full time, part time and seasonal employees. Police and Public Works are represented by collective bargaining units. Water, electric and communications are provided by the Indianola Municipal Utility (IMU) which is owned by the city. Indianola is governed by a mayor and six-member council. The mayor and two council members are elected at large, and four council members are elected by ward. The mayor and council serve four-year staggered terms. The city council appoints the city manager who oversees all daily operations.
Indianola is home to Simpson College, a private four-year liberal arts college, the National Balloon Classic, the Des Moines Opera, and the Warren County Fair. The city offers outstanding indoor and outdoor recreational amenities with 14 parks providing over 255 acres of greenspace, as well as a city owned activity center and aquatics facility. Indianola is also located between two Iowa state parks.
The next city manager will have the opportunity to continue to foster Indianola’s growth and investment with the Downtown Square Streetscape, the potential for new public safety, city hall and library facilities and continued economic and community development.
- A Bachelor’s degree in planning, public administration, urban studies, community development or a related field; with seven years of experience in local government OR
- A Master’s degree in public administration or business administration and three years of progressive leadership experience in a senior management position in a public sector organization of similar size and/or complexity. Five or more years of experience is desirable.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- A communicative, team-oriented, and approachable management style.
The Ideal Candidate Will Be
- Open and transparent with a strong commitment to communication and collaboration.
- Active and engaged in the community, able to build and maintain partnership and consensus.
- An innovative and progressive manager knowledgeable in best practices for local government.
- A visionary and strategic leader who can assist the mayor and council in anticipating future needs and plan for the same.
- Experienced with community and economic development.
- A flexible and collaborative manager able to draw on the expertise of the city’s leadership team.
- An approachable leader willing to listen to all stakeholders.
The starting salary range is $140,000 – $175,000 DOQ with comprehensive benefits.
Interested candidates should apply online by February 4, 2022 with resume, cover letter and contact information for five work-related references at www.govHRJobs.com to the attention of Charlene Stevens, Senior Vice President, GovHR USA, 630 Dundee Road, #225, Northbrook, IL 60062. Tel: (224)282-8314. The City of Indianola, Iowa is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Posted: Jan 24, 2022
To apply for this job please visit govhrusa.applytojob.com.