The City of Lake Forest is seeking an Assistant City Manager to serve as an integral part of the executive leadership team, working closely with elected officials, staff members, and community partners to advance key City initiatives. Candidates for the position must be strategic thinkers and problem solvers. They must be detail-oriented while also being able to see the big picture. Excellent communication and project management skills, as well as an ability to facilitate collaboration across the organization are critical.
The Assistant City Manager is encouraged to be innovative and must be dedicated to a creative and collaborative organizational culture. Responsibilities of the position will include overseeing day-to-day operations of the Office of the City Manager, including Communications and the Clerk’s office. The Assistant City Manager will also serve as staff liaison to several City Council subcommittees and City Boards and Commissions.
Lake Forest, IL (pop. 19,375). Beautiful, historic, family-oriented community seeks candidates for its next Assistant City Manager. Located 30 miles north of Chicago on the shore of Lake Michigan, Lake Forest is a AAA rated community known for its stunning landscape, excellent schools, and commitment to open space. Lake Forest is home to more than 1200 businesses, from small boutique shops in its thriving downtown Market Square to corporations in Conway Park, including Abbott, Pfizer, Reynolds Consumer Products, the Chicago Bears, Trustmark, and many others. Lake Forest is known for its commitment to professional, progressive local government leadership.
- The City has a $98 million total budget, which includes a $39 million general fund budget. Lake Forest is a full-service city, including police, fire, public works, water production plant, community development, finance, human resources, parks and recreation, senior center, youth center, cemetery, and golf course. The City has 210 fulltime employees, and a strong commitment to fiscal stewardship.
- The City is home to Lake Forest College, a highly regarded private liberal arts college with 1500 students, Lake Forest Graduate School of Management and Northwestern Lake Forest Hospital, a world-class medical institution. The City is also home to two symphonies, a thriving theater life and Forest Park, the City’s beautiful lakefront beach. The City’s commitment to open space is evident with more than 800 acres of free and open space to explore and more than 29 miles of trails for biking, hiking and walking.
The Assistant City Manager is appointed by the City Manager. The City of Lake Forest has had four Assistant City Managers in the last 20 years, all of whom have gone on to Manager/Administrator positions.
- Experience in local government process improvement and project management is highly desired.
- Must possess a bachelor’s degree in public administration, business administration or related field. Master’s degree in public administration, business administration or similar field is highly valued.
- Residency in the City of Lake Forest is not required.
Starting salary range is $120,000 to 160,000 +/- DOQ. Interested candidates should apply at once – the position is open until filled. Application materials must include a resume, cover letter and contact information for 5 professional references to Heidi Voorhees, President, GovHRUSA. Electronic submissions at www.GovHRjobs.com
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled