The Village of Lincolnwood (pop. 13,463) conveniently located directly north of the City of Chicago, Lincolnwood with its compact neighborhoods covering 2.7 square miles serves as the gateway to Chicagoland’s North Shore. Known as a friendly, multi-cultural community with tree-lined streets, well-kept housing choices and parks, an excellent school system, and a prosperous business community, it is a great place for urban couples, families and seniors to call home. This is a safe community who is seeking a trustworthy, progressive Public Works leader who is comfortable in working in a collaborative environment, encouraging innovation and offering exemplary public services to residents and businesses.
The Public Works Director is appointed by the Village Manager and is responsible for the planning, directing and effective supervision of the department’s $3,045,724 stub year budget and 30.5 FTE employees. Assisted by the Staff Engineer, Assistant to the Public Works Director and the Superintendent, the five divisions of Public Works offer services in water distribution (Evanston supply), Forestry, Parks/Buildings, Streets/Utilities and Fleet. The successful candidate will enjoy a supportive work environment and will foster teamwork approaches to problem solving, quickly establish credibility and offer stability and expertise in Public Works operations. Proficiency and skill in the oversight of outside consulting services will be helpful as presently they support the Village Engineer role, as well as GIS and Village Arborist. The next Director must instill a “more with less” approach to ensure the maximization of financial resources. Projects on the 5-year horizon include significant intersection and streetscape improvements (approximately $13.5M); a complicated, multi-partnered park renovation; water system improvements of $1.6M including a lead line pilot replacement program; and systemwide stormwater improvements of approximately $3.6M.
The Village is seeking a confident team member who will demonstrate resourcefulness and skill in messaging complex messages to a variety of audiences. The successful candidate will have the following:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in civil engineering, public administration or related field. A Master’s Degree, or Illinois Registered Professional Civil Engineer license or other advanced degree in a related field is desired.
- Minimum of five years’ experience in increasingly responsible public works operations or related field or an equivalent combination of education and experience with at least three (3) years of supervisory responsibility.
- Proficiency in leading large scale public works projects with a high level of community oversight.
- Knowledge of materials, practices and equipment used in all facets of public works operations is recommended including water distribution, sanitary collection, street maintenance (ROW, Forestry), stormwater, fleet and facilities maintenance. Experience or exposure to a high level of intergovernmental interaction will be helpful. Present partners include: MWRD, IDOT, Evanston, the city of Chicago and other agencies
- Skills in project management; preparation and administration of a capital improvement plan and budget; forecast and guiding operational needs are highly desirable.
- Strong oral and written communication skills, strategic planning abilities, and a demonstrated proficiency, a track record of responsiveness and enthusiasm for working closely with other Village staff and elected officials.
Compensation and Benefits
The current salary range is $132,107 – $184,950; starting salary target is $160,000 +/- commensurate with the selected candidate’s qualifications and abilities. Residency is not required. The Village offers exceptional benefits, including membership into the Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund (IMRF), a vehicle allowance, optional 457 deferred compensation plans, and a menu of health plans.
Apply online with a resume, cover letter and contact information for five professional references by May 26, 2023. Confidential inquiries may be directed to Kathleen (Katy) Rush, Vice President, GovHR USA at 847-380-3240.
The Village of Lincolnwood is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Application Deadline: May 26, 2023