Assistant City Administrator/Community Development Director – City of Marshfield, Wisconsin (18,958). Located in the beautiful geographical center of the state, Marshfield is a vibrant community in central Wisconsin known for world-class health care and a fresh mix of lodging, dining, shopping, and attractions. Marshfield is located 45 minutes southwest of Wausau and is equal distance from Green Bay and the Twin Cities. The City seeks an Assistant City Administrator/Community Development Director to lead the Development Services department in addition to assisting the City Administrator.
This is a newly created position and will be a key member of the City’s management team in a financially stable organization. The City is governed by a Mayor and 10 aldermen elected on a non-partisan basis. The City’s budget is $48 M (all funds), and there are 210 Full Time/Part Time employees, with this position having direct supervision of 6 staff. The position reports directly to the City Administrator.
The City’s next Assistant City Administrator/Community Development Director should be a technically skilled and collaborative professional capable of managing a variety of the City’s economic and development activities. The Assistant City Administrator/Community Development Director plans, directs, manages, and oversees the activities of Development Services including permits and inspections, economic development, planning and zoning. This position is responsible for assuring that the city achieves its economic development goals including guiding and leading the City‘s long-range housing, business development and retention goals.
The City seeks an ethical and experienced professional with strong technical and interpersonal skills. The ideal candidate must have an inclusive managerial style, as well as clear, concise, and open communication skills including the ability to navigate the political process in order to achieve the approved goals of the City.
The successful candidate will:
- Have a confident fluency in economic development, including BID’s, CDA’s and TID’s;
- Have background in project management and leadership;
- Have the ability to problem-solve and make critical decisions;
- Have a desire to work cooperatively with the public and elected leaders; and
- Have a passion for teamwork and the ability to work collaboratively with all City departments in the delivery of municipal services.
Candidates should also have:
- A bachelor’s degree in business, public or business administration, planning or other related field is ideal. A Master’s Degree in Public Administration or a closely related field is preferred but not required.
- Five to eight years of progressive experience in planning or economic development and/or five years of assistant or executive level government administration including supervision and project management.
The City offers a starting salary of $107,000 to $129,000 plus exceptional benefits including WRS and health insurance. Candidates should apply online with resume, cover letter, and contact information for five work-related references to the attention of Lee Szymborski, Senior Vice President, GovHR USA, Tel: 847-380-3240 ext. 103 and David De Angelis, Senior Vice President, GovHR USA, Tel: 847-380-3240 ext. 187.
The deadline to apply is November 17, 2023, and open until filled. The review of resumes is on-ongoing. The City is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Application Deadline: Open Until Filled