The City of McKinney, Texas is seeking to hire a Director of Parks and Recreation who will have extensive experience in parks and recreation operations, in addition to the principles and practices of maintenance, open space management and trails planning including funding and acquisition, and park construction.
McKinney, Texas, (population of 211,397), has a unique, rich, and diverse spirit with a vibrant present and promising future. Located along US 75, in the northeastern corner of the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex, McKinney’s population has more than doubled every ten years since 1990 and is expected to reach 350,000 once the community is built out. McKinney is just 30 miles north of downtown Dallas and is the county seat of Collin County.
The Ideal Candidate Will Be:
- An approachable and supportive leader who has a proven record of developing high performing teams.
- A visionary leader who can develop the department’s mission, goals, and strategies in alignment with the city’s priorities.
- A transparent and knowledgeable leader able to build trust with all stakeholders.
- Innovative and experienced in identifying emerging parks and recreation trends and opportunities and able to effectively implement best practice solutions.
- Decisive and firm when necessary while acting with a clear sense of urgency with important priorities set forth by the city.
- Able to balance the needs for strategic thinking and direction with the day-to-day cultivating a positive morale throughout the management of the department.
- A strong, collaborative leader who can combine vision, strategy, and innovation.
- A community-engaged leader with the ability to establish and maintain trusting relationships with staff, community leaders and the community at large.
- A bachelor’s degree in parks and recreation, or a related field. A master’s degree is a plus.
- At least ten years’ experience in parks and recreation, with five (5) of those years served in a management capacity, or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience. Municipal or public sector experience is a plus.
- Demonstrate a thorough understanding of all functions and facets of parks and recreation.
- The ability and history of being an effective mentor and leader for staff.
- An excellent communicator and an active listener.
- The demonstrated ability to build collaborative, effective relationships across all levels of the organization.
- Enthusiasm and energy for working at a fast pace with the ability to prioritize and delegate effectively.
Salary Range and Benefits:
The starting salary range for this position is $139,009 – $201,555 depending on qualifications. The City offers an excellent benefit package including membership into the Texas Municipal Retirement System, optional 401(K) and 457 deferred compensation plans, and an expansive menu of health and wellness benefits. The City is committed to on-going employee education and training. The City dedicates funds for professional development and offers tuition reimbursement programs.
How to apply:
Apply online with resume, cover letter, and contact information for five (5) professional references by Monday, November 27, 2023. Questions regarding the recruitment may be directed to Joe DeLuce or Chuck Balling, Vice Presidents, and Executive Recruiters, GovHR USA. TEL: 847-380-3240 x155.
The City of McKinney is an Equal Opportunity Employer and welcomes and encourages diverse applicants.
Application Deadline: November 27, 2023
Click HERE for Brochure!!