The Metropolitan St. Louis Sewer District (MSD), located in St. Louis, Missouri, is seeking a qualified professional to serve as its next Executive Director/CEO.
MSD is the fourth largest sewer district in the United States. Its many facilities are located in the St. Louis Metropolitan area. MSD provides stormwater and wastewater services for more than 1.3 million people in the Greater St. Louis area, which covers 525 square miles. MSD owns and operates seven wastewater treatment facilities, two hundred and forty small pump stations, and forty master pump stations. MSD is also responsible for flood control along the Mississippi River, operating 25 floodwall pump stations and gate structures. Its Headquarters is in Downtown St. Louis, just minutes away from Union Station and the newly constructed St. Louis City SC CITYPARK. St. Louis is also home to the St. Louis Cardinals, the St. Louis Blues, the St. Louis Zoo, and the Anheuser-Busch Brewery. The city is home to the headquarters of several world-renowned businesses such as Centene, Emerson Electric, Reinsurance Group of America, Edward Jones, and Graybar Electric.
The Executive Director/CEO reports directly to a six-member Board of Trustees and directs the operations of a 1,000-member organization. The Executive Director/CEO oversees five Department Directors: human resources, engineering, finance, information technology, legal, and operations. The District is responsible for overseeing the completion of several large capital improvement projects as well as ongoing system-wide maintenance activities. The Executive Director oversees an annual operational budget of $235,000,000 and a $250,000,000 to $350,000,000 capital projects budget. The current Executive Director is retiring after 11 years of successful leadership.
MSD is seeking an Executive Director who is trustworthy, accountable, collaborative, approachable, a good listener, fair, and organized. The District defines the success of the next Executive Director as someone who is able to work well with staff, the community, and the Board of Trustees and provide stability in the position. A successful Executive Director should have a curious mind and steer MSD into the future, as well as be open to any future opportunities that might arise for the District.
- Strategic Planning
- Leading a team and working with the Board of Trustees.
- Building and sustaining effective intergovernmental relationships.
- Overseeing the annual budget.
- Ensuring annual compliance with the Department of Justice and US EPA Consent Decree requirements.
- Ensuring annual compliance with CMOM Requirements.
- Properly administering all affairs of the District and all subdistricts.
- Being the public face of MSD.
Ideal Candidate will possess:
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with a degree in engineering, or a related field.
- A licensed professional engineer (PE).
- Ten (10) years of experience as an engineer including at least five years’ experience in responsible administrative and executive capacity.
- Must possess or be able to possess a valid driver’s license.
- Extensive skills in leading, motivating, and communicating.
- Drive for excellent performance through planning and directing the work of others.
- Comprehensive skill in developing and maintaining effective working relationships with all stakeholders including but not limited to: public officials, customers, regulatory officials, personnel, and general public.
- Excellent public speaking skills.
- Considerable knowledge of Federal, State, and local regulations.
- Experience working with multi-year, large-scale capital funding and improvement plans.
- Considerable skill in organizational decision-making.
- Proficient knowledge of wastewater and stormwater.
Compensation and Benefits:
The anticipated starting annual salary range is between $220,000 and $240,000 based on education and previous experience. Residency within St. Louis is not required for this position. This is a full-time, exempt position within the Metropolitan St. Louis Sewer District. MSD offers an extremely competitive and comprehensive benefits package that includes very affordable medical and dental coverage, which is also available to dependents. Life insurance, Flexible Spending Account and vacation leave is also included. MSD also offers paid holidays, sick leave, floating holidays, professional development, and professional memberships, as well as a Defined Contribution Plan (401a) and Deferred Compensation Plan (457).
Interested Candidates should apply online with a resume, cover letter, and contact information for five professional references by October 25, 2023. Electronic submissions are required.
For questions contact:
Jim Arndt, Vice President GovHR USA
The Metropolitan St. Louis Sewer District is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Diversity and inclusion are critical to our success. We seek to recruit the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool and strongly encourage women, people of color, LGBTQ individuals, people with disabilities, and veterans to apply.
Application Deadline: October 25, 2023