- The next chief must be comfortable working with multiple stakeholders outside the community on local, state, and federal levels.
- Candidates should be familiar with progressive policing principles and best practices.
- The next chief must have a demonstrated record of success in developing effective relationships at all levels of the organization.
- Candidates must be committed to an inclusive management style focusing on employees’ professional development.
- Candidates must possess a bachelor’s degree in criminal justice, business administration, public administration, communications, or related field. A Master’s degree is a plus.
- Candidates should also have at least ten years of law enforcement experience as well as five years’ experience in a law enforcement management position.
- Completion of an advanced police management school such as the FBI National Academy, Police Executive Research Forum Senior Management Institute for Police, the Northwestern School of Police Staff and Command, or the Southern Police Institute Administrative Officers Course/Command Officers Development Course is highly desired. Other leadership training will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis.
- Demonstrated successful experience in progressively responsible supervisory, administrative and managerial assignments in municipal law enforcement preferably in a suburban community, with a similar socio-economic environment is desirable.
- Have demonstrated experience working cooperatively with other law enforcement agencies and regional task forces to effectively utilize the department’s resources.
- Have successful personnel management and employee relations experience, with a record of dealing fairly with all employees, collectively and individually.
- Have sufficient experience to review organizational structure, staffing, budgeting/funding, and personnel assignments and make changes when appropriate, to ensure departmental capability to carry out its mission and responsibilities in an exemplary manner.
- Use data driven decision-making processes when appropriate.
- Have experience in personally preparing accurate written reports, emails, and similar communications, together with effective verbal communication and public speaking skills, including a willingness to make effective oral presentations to a range of community and business groups.
- The next chief must be particularly knowledgeable of collective bargaining issues and labor contract administration within a police department setting.
- Candidates with experience in facility project management are encouraged to apply