- Three or more years of continuous experience as an Assistant Director or a record of similar duties and responsibilities in a municipal public works department, including administrative functions, supervisory and project management oversight; successful application of municipal practices and construction codes.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Public Administration or related field from an accredited college or university or a combination of education and experience in the field of public works management and engineering functions, including the operation of a municipal water system.
- Comprehensive knowledge of public works administrative practices, procedures and management; knowledge of construction and maintenance methods, materials, and equipment as employed in Public Works activities.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of municipal public works engineering with the ability to direct Village staff engineering services, able to analyze and recommend solutions to complex engineering problems; ability to oversee necessary engineering research and compile comprehensive reports.
- Knowledge of and ability to direct the operation of the Village water distribution system, public street operations and sanitary and storm sewer systems, adept at the management of Village infrastructure.
- Ability to review applications submitted to the Plan Commission, Zoning Board of Appeals or Building Department
- Ability to prioritize and develop programs to initiate/update policies and procedures to enhance the safety of Department employees in all areas of responsibility; hold all employees accountable to a culture of safety.
- Ability to develop, administer and carry out financial requirements of the position, including budgeting and long range planning. Knowledge of public works project planning, development and construction; ability to plan for future improvement of Village facilities.
- Considerable knowledge of the principles and practices of effective supervision, management and personnel administration; ability to delegate and distribute personnel and to review the work of various operational divisions.
- Ability to review, develop and implement departmental programs/procedures.
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing with employees, supervisors, vendors and the public; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships that recognize the value of Department employees.
- Ability to train and supervise subordinate personnel; ability to exercise sound judgment in evaluating situations and in making decisions.
- A leadership style that uses the qualifications and qualities of available personnel resources to accomplish Department goals, effectively communicate and follow-up on Department projects and plans.
- Ability to establish and maintain professional working relationships with departmental and Village personnel, elected officials, residents and other intergovernmental agencies.
- A strong commitment to excellent customer service; highly collaborative; uses exceptional communications skills and remains responsive to the community.
To apply for this job please visit www.govhrusa.com.