Naperville, IL (pop. 149,540) is widely recognized throughout the country as the premiere location to live, work, and visit — a recognition made possible in part thanks to the exceptional service provided by the City’s almost 1,000 municipal employees. As the world of work evolves in the post-pandemic era and understanding that Naperville’s employees are at the heart of what we do as a service organization, the City of Naperville seeks a skilled and transformative Human Resources professional who can use their demonstrated leadership, management, and interpersonal skills to move our employee experience forward.
As part of the City Manager’s executive leadership team, Naperville’s next Human Resources Director will play a critical role across an organization that supports a vibrant community regularly receiving recognition as the best city to raise a family, the safest city in America, and the city with the best public schools in America. As Illinois’ fourth largest city, cultural amenities, recreation, education, and outdoor opportunities are plentiful. The City’s reputation as a business-friendly community attracts international and national corporations and small businesses to serve this 39-square-mile community 30 miles west of Chicago.
The Human Resources Department has 10 full-time employees that assist the director, including three Human Resources Generalists, a Benefit and Wellness Supervisor, an HRIS Analyst, a Recruitment Assistant, a Benefits and Compensation Assistant, a Benefits Specialist, and an Administrative Assistant. Together, this department serves 956 full-time and 13 part-time employees with an annual department budget of $1.8 million. The Human Resources Director is appointed by the City Manager, reports to the Deputy City Manager, and serves as the Chief EEO Officer, HIPAA Compliance Officer, and IMRF Authorized Agent. Additional partners to the Human Resources Director include an in-house labor relations attorney and the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Manager.
To continue and enhance Naperville’s commitment to its core values of people, respect, pride, and trust, the following education, experience, management style, and personality traits have been identified as the ones Naperville’s next Human Resources Director will possess:
- Strong leadership skills, a progressive outlook, and robust communication abilities.
- Complex human resources department management experience and demonstrated expertise in authoring and administering human resource policies and procedures.
- A vision for human resources in a changing workforce environment that can be articulated and executed by developing and maintaining collaborative working relationships with other members of the executive leadership team and all human resources stakeholders.
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resource Management, Business Administration, Organizational Development, Public Administration, or a related field. A Master’s Degree or equivalent experience is preferred.
- At least seven years of experience in a human resources management position.
Starting salary range: $160,000 – 180,000+/- DOQ. Candidates should apply by March 10, 2023, online with résumé, cover letter, and contact information for five professional references to either Maureen Barry, Senior Vice President, or Kathleen Rush, Vice President. Tel: 224-282-8312. Equal Opportunity Employer.
Application Deadline: March 10, 2023