Oak Park Township, Illinois is seeking qualified government agency leaders with a strong background in Illinois Township governance that possess experience in the provision of social services and human resources as candidates for its next Township Manager.
Oak Park Township, located in Oak Park, Illinois, partners with more than 150 service organizations as they provide quality, diverse, and relevant human and social services to Oak Park, Illinois, and River Forest, Illinois. Oak Park, Illinois located just nine miles west of downtown Chicago is an inner-ring, independent suburban community that offers a distinctive urban/suburban lifestyle in a pleasant setting of tree-lined streets and both vintage and modern homes and apartments that offer attractive variety in style and price. Oak Park has a long history of being a community of choice, benefiting from a convenient transportation network, access to local and regional high-quality retail, high-tech employment opportunities, arts, and cultural attractions. Oak Park shares a border with the City of Chicago, River Forest, Forest Park, Cicero, and Berwyn.
The Township Manager reports directly to the Township Supervisor. The Township Manager directs the operations of a 56-member social services-oriented operation. The Manager directly oversees five (5) Departments responsible for Administration, General Assistance, Resident Services, Senior Services, and Youth and Family Services. The Township Manager oversees an annual budget of $8,728,000. The former Township Manager led the agency for fifteen years. The Township is seeking a Manager that is committed to the support, success, and sustainability of Township governance and is comfortable working in a very diverse and well-educated workforce. The successful Manager will be organized, articulate, trustworthy, enthusiastic, accountable, flexible, focused, fair, a good listener, resourceful, collaborative, and humble.
- Establishing and maintaining professional relationships with community partners.
- Ability to lead a team and work with the Board of Trustees.
- Preparing Township levy.
- Evaluating organizational needs and formulating short and long-range plans to meet those needs.
- Representing the Township in a positive way in the community.
- Ability to manage maintenance and capital projects.
- Ability to build consensus on various initiatives.
- Preparing and overseeing the Township’s annual budget.
Ideal Candidate will possess:
- Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with a degree in public administration, business administration, or a related field.
- A Master’s Degree in Business Administration or Public Administration is preferred, but not required.
- Three (3) to five (5) years of previous experience in a comparable agency with extensive experience in a management role.
- Must possess or be able to possess a valid Illinois Driver’s license.
- Extensive experience in human resources and personnel management is preferred.
- Considerable knowledge of social services offered by the Township.
- Considerable knowledge of Illinois Township Government laws, policies, and regulations.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office Suite.
- Knowledge of Illinois State Laws including the Township Code.
- Knowledge of financial management and budget development.
- Skilled in policy development and implementation.
- Skilled in strategic planning.
- Skilled in public relations.
Compensation and Benefits:
The anticipated starting salary range is between $100,000 to $120,000 + or – based on education and previous experience. Residency is not required for this position. This is a full-time, exempt position with the Township. The Township offers an extremely competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package that includes very affordable medical, dental, and vision coverage (also available to dependents), tuition reimbursement, sick leave, personal days, health club reimbursement, and vacation leave at the time of employment. The Township also offers paid holidays that begin at employment professional development, professional memberships, as well as participation in the Illinois Municipal Retirement System (IMRF).
Interested Candidates should apply online with a resume, cover letter, and contact information for five professional references. The first review of resumes will begin on August 31, 2023. The deadline to apply is September 15th. The Township anticipates the first round of interviews to occur in early October. Electronic submissions are required.
For questions contact:
Jim Arndt, Vice President GovHR USA
Oak Park Township, IL is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act and is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Diversity and inclusion are critical to our success. We seek to recruit the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool and strongly encourage women, people of color, LGBTQ individuals, people with disabilities, and veterans to apply.
Application Deadline: September 15, 2023