The Palatine Board of Park Commissioners is seeking to hire an Executive Director who can compel a positive culture, lead by example, demonstrate high ethical standards, promote a cooperative work environment, provide motivational leadership, and have a proven record of accomplishment to lead its highly regarded state and nationally recognized park district.
The successful candidate will:
- report to the 5-person elected Board of Commissioners, the Executive Director will implement and administer the policies adopted by the Board.
- be present and approachable with community members, board members, and staff.
- must participate and engage in various District and community events and programs.
- possess a wide range of experience across diverse types of parks, facilities, and recreation experiences.
- have strong planning, capital project management, and facility renovation experience.
- possess the financial skills and experience to support and lead the District’s fiscal future.
- be able to work well with agency partners, school districts, the Village of Palatine, and Harper College.
- possess a clear vision and goals for the agency’s future and the ability to communicate that vision clearly and effectively to staff and all sectors of the community.
- have a valid Illinois driver’s license (or ability to regularly travel among facilities).
The Executive Director manages day-to-day operations of the District and oversees a staff of 85 full-time employees and 720 part-time, seasonal, and temporary employees. Each year, the District offers 2000 programs and 50 special events for everyone to enjoy. The District also offers the residents 14 facilities and over 24 miles of paths and trails and has an annual operating budget of over $29,000,000. The Park District is a member of the Northwest Special Recreation Association (NWSRA) and works collaboratively to provide recreational activities for residents with special needs.
Experience and Education:
- Should have experience leading an organization of similar complexity and possess a broad range of experience with the diverse types of services, programs, and facilities that the Palatine Park District offers.
- Should possess at least 10 to 15 years of increasingly responsible management and operational experience at a parks and recreation agency, park district, municipal department or related field with experience overseeing the management of a large team of employees.
- Graduate from an accredited college or university with a bachelor’s degree in Parks and Recreation, Leisure Studies, Facility Management, Public Administration, Business, Finance, or a related field.
- Master’s degree is a plus.
- Certified Parks and Recreation Professional (CPRP) or Certified Parks and Recreation Executive (CPRE) designation is preferred.
The hiring salary range for this position is $160,000 to $210,000. The actual salary will be determined by the selected candidate's qualifications and commensurate experience. Additionally, the Palatine Park District offers an extensive benefit plan, including a defined benefit pension plan, competitive health, dental, vision and life insurance, 457 savings plan and flexible spending plan, and a variety of other recreational benefits.
Established in 1945, the Palatine Park District is a separate governmental entity and serves over 83,000 residents who live within the District's 21 square-mile service area. Palatine is known for being the place “where families come home to raise their children”.
Apply online with resume, cover letter, and contact information for five (5) professional references by Monday, August 21, 2023. Questions regarding the recruitment may be directed to Steve Scholten or Joe DeLuce, Vice Presidents, and Executive Recruiters, GovHR USA (847) 380-3240. The Palatine Park District is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Application Deadline: August 21, 2023