Directly responsible to and working in close contact with the Director of Planning, Projects and IT, the Information Technology Manager plans, organizes, and manages staff and overall operations to ensure the stable and secure operation of the organization’s IT infrastructure including developing, maintaining, supporting, and optimizing key functional areas such as network infrastructure, server infrastructure, data communications, telecommunications, and access control systems.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Manage and set priorities for the design, maintenance, development, and evaluation of all infrastructure systems including LANs, WANs, internet, intranet, access control, security cameras, firewalls, and all other technology infrastructure.
• Design and monitor data security methods including user logins, passwords & directories, data backups, disaster recovery, and appropriate use policies.
• Responsible for planning, purchase, installation, and maintenance of physical technology throughout the Park District.
• Develop and administer the technology budgets across the Park District.
• Design and implement short- and long-term technology plans to ensure infrastructure capacity meets existing and future requirements.
• Coordinate work of third-party vendors and manage various vendor accounts.
• Lead and manage technology and security improvement projects. Prepare project documents, provide direction to staff and contractors, communicate progress, and manage project costs.
• Conduct research and make recommendations on products, services, protocols, and
standards in support of all infrastructure procurement and development efforts.
• Conduct feasibility studies for various upgrade projects, improvements, and other conversions.
• Schedule and direct activities to resolve level 3 hardware and software issues in a timely and accurate fashion.
• Develop, implement, and maintain information technology and data security policies, procedures, and associated training plans.
• Define hardware and software standards in conjunction with stakeholders.
• Assist with audio/video setup, manage technology for meetings and attend Board Meetings as needed.
• Assists with Help Desk Support as needed.
• Establish and maintain regular written and in-person communications with the organization’s executives, decision-makers, stakeholders, department heads, and end users regarding pertinent infrastructure activities.
• Keep Director of Planning, Projects, and IT informed on all matters of technology and security having a significant effect on operations.
The Information Technology Manager directly supervises the Network Specialist. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university; with a degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Management Information Systems, or similar field. Seven to ten years’ experience or equivalent combination of education, experience, and training which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities. Experience managing and delivering technology and security design and operational excellence. Successful leadership of a technology team. Hands-on experience in troubleshooting technology and security. Knowledge of current protocols and standards, such as Microsoft, Cisco VMware, Palo Alto, Unitrends, Flash Array, Fortinet, SIP Trunks, Vermont Systems, Core Layer, Access Layer, Distribution Layer, conversant with programming languages such as .NET. Related professional certification preferred.
All applicants must apply online at
The Park District of Highland Park is an Equal Opportunity Employer
For more information, contact:
To apply for this job please visit www.paycomonline.net.