Peoria, IL (population 111,021). GovHR USA is pleased to announce the recruitment of candidates for the Human Resources Director for the City of Peoria, Illinois. Peoria is located midway between Chicago and St. Louis, in central Illinois on the Illinois River. Greater Peoria strikes the perfect balance between big-city life and small-town atmosphere. The neighborhoods are safe, and ethnically, culturally and racially diverse. The City has a strong base of residential, commercial and educational properties.
A four-time All-America City, Peoria, with the surrounding metro area, is among the most favorable regions in the country for cost of living, at about 11% below the national average. In May 2023, U.S. News & World Report ranked Peoria as of the best places to live in the country (70th of 150 cities) and second best in Illinois.
The City of Peoria is a full-service community with 765 FTEs and 2024 budgeted expenditures of $322M, utilizing $292M in revenues and grant funding for additional capital improvements. The City is a home rule municipality and operates under the Council-Manager form of government. The City Council is comprised of the Mayor (elected at-large) and ten council members, who are elected for four-year terms. The City Manager is appointed by the City Council and serves as the chief administrative officer of the City. Most department heads, including the HR Director, are appointed by and directly report to the City Manager, with two departments reporting to the Assistant City Manager.
About the Position
The Human Resources (HR) Director plans, organizes, administers, and leads the operations and staff of the Human Resources Department; provides vision and direction to the organization; interprets the goals and policies of the City under the direction of the City Manager; and serves as the chief negotiator for the City in collective bargaining discussions with the City’s six bargaining units. The position coordinates, analyzes and proposes solutions to staffing related procedures, problems, and budgetary issues; provides highly responsible staff assistance to the City Manager and serves as a resource to other departments.
The City is seeking an experienced and collaborative professional to serve as HR Director. The successful candidate will have:
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree preferred, in Business Administration, Public Administration, Human Resources Management, Industrial Relations, Psychology, or other closely related fields; SHRM and/or IPMA certification or reciprocal state equivalent.
- Ten years progressively responsible relevant experience, including supervisory experience, in human resources functions, to include significant experience in health care management, labor and employee relations, employee benefit analysis, diversity and inclusion, risk management, recruitment and placement, classification, compensation, training and organizational development. Any combination of education, training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the essential functions of the job may be considered.
- Strong executive leadership, project management, budget, and communications skills are critical.
- Knowledge of Public Administration, local government management and business theory, practice and administration in order to oversee the planning and implementation of department functions; to prepare reports/analyses, policies and budgets; and principals and practices of human resources management.
- Interpersonal skills necessary to provide effective leadership to subordinate personnel and to develop cooperative working relationships with employees, senior management, elected officials, and vendors supplying goods or services to the jurisdiction.
- Clear and concise verbal and written communication skills and the ability to present complex information to any audience.
Compensation and Benefits
The anticipated starting salary range is $126,652 to $175,000 DOQ. The range maximum is $205,276. A comprehensive benefits package includes participation in the Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund (IMRF), health insurance including medical, dental, and vision coverage (also available to dependents), and life insurance. The City also offers paid vacation, holidays and sick leave. Residency within city limits is required within one year of appointment.
Apply online with a resume, cover letter and contact information for five professional references. Applications first reading November 17, 2023. Confidential inquiries are encouraged and should be directed to Maureen Barry, Senior Vice President, GovHR USA, at 847-380-3240, x116.
The City of Peoria is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Application Deadline: Open until filled