Portsmouth, NH (pop. 21,500) Portsmouth, New Hampshire, is a beautiful New England seaside community located near the coast of New Hampshire and situated between the cities of Boston and Portland. Portsmouth is a historic seaport and popular year-round tourist destination on the Piscataqua River. Portsmouth was formerly the home of the Strategic Air Command’s Pease Air Force Base, since converted to Pease International Tradeport (including an airport) at Pease, which is a major economic driver for the greater Portsmouth area. Approximately 40,000 to 50,000 individuals work in the City on a daily basis and slightly less visit the City in the evenings.
Portsmouth is a full-service community. Services include Administration and Finance, Public Safety, Schools, Community, Economic Development and Regulatory Services, Library, Recreation and Senior Services, and Public Works. The City operates under the Council/Manager form of government with nine at-large elected officials serving concurrent two-year terms. The City has a professional staff of 800 full time employees, a budget of $113M and enjoys a AAA bond rating. There are 16 collective bargaining units.
Expected Experience, Characteristics and Traits
- A Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university with a major in political science, business administration or related field. A Master’s Degree in Public Administration is preferred.
- A minimum of five (5) years progressively responsible municipal experience in a community of similar size and complexity, or any equivalent combination of education and experience that would demonstrate the skills and abilities to perform the work.
- Extensive knowledge of municipal operations and general practices, including current developments and innovations relevant to local government.
- Candidates must have strong leadership skills, open and honest communication skills and an approachable style and the proven ability to establish and maintain strong working relationships.
- Strong financial, budget, human resources and labor relations experience.
- Strong knowledge and skill related to Community Engagement, Sustainability and Smart Cities, the Arts, and Capital Improvements Planning.
- A strong customer service orientation and significant career success in building collaborative, effective relationships across departments.
- Experience in strategic planning, project management and complex problem solving with the ability to work effectively in a wide variety of governmental disciplines.
- Excellent communication skills, both orally and in writing, public relations skills, and an understanding of the importance of engaging the community through social media platforms.
- A collaborative leader who values the input of the City Council, members of the staff, stakeholders and the general public.
The expected starting salary is $160,000 to $185,000 +/- DOQ, with excellent benefits. Submit résumé, cover letter, and contact information for five professional references by August 16, 2019 online to Joellen J. Cademartori, CEO, GovHR USA, LLC – www.GovHRjobs.com. Questions regarding the recruitment may be directed to Joellen J. Cademartori, CEO, GovHR USA at 847-380-3238. The City of Portsmouth is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Posted:July 17, 2019