The City of Roanoke (population 100,220), the largest municipality in southwest Virginia, encompasses 43 square miles. It is the principal municipality of the Roanoke Metropolitan Statistical Area. The City provides its diverse population of residents 49 officially designated neighborhoods, 60 parks, and more than 90 miles of greenways and trails. Roanoke has 24 public schools, 16 private schools and twelve college and universities within 25 miles. Roanoke serves as the region’s education, medical, shopping, recreation, and cultural hub anchoring Virginia’s Blue Ridge.
The City of Roanoke, a full-service urban community, is seeking police professionals with experience as Chief or Deputy Chief as candidates for the position of Chief of the Roanoke Police Department. The Police Department has a complement of 268 sworn officers, consisting of a Chief, 2 Deputy Chiefs, 4 Captains, 12 Lieutenants, 30 Sergeants and 219 Officers. There are 50 Civilian positions that support the services provided by the Department. Candidates meeting the position criteria with a history of exceptional leadership, capable of moving the Police Department to new levels of success, are encouraged to apply. The Roanoke Police Department enjoys a history of working openly in partnership with the community to foster an atmosphere of trust. The position of Chief of Police is being filled pending retirement of the current Police Chief following his 39-year tenure with the Department.
A candidate for the position of Chief of Police:
- Must be a proven leader, who recognizes the significance of working collaboratively
- Must be an exceptional communicator, able to thoughtfully represent the interests of the Department and the City, with a high level of community presence
- Must possess a bachelor’ degree with major course work in the field of law enforcement, public administration or related field; a Master’s Degree is preferred
- Have executive management training, or completion of equivalent training, in at least one of the following: FBI National Academy, Southern Police Institute or Senior Management Institute through the Police Executive Research
- Must have at least ten (10) years of related command experience as Chief or Deputy Chief in a similarly sized urban municipality; Candidates with an equivalent combination of education, training and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills and abilities may be considered
- Experience as a police department administrator in a CALEA Accredited Agency is preferred, with a commitment to sustaining in Roanoke the programs and benefits derived from the accredited status
- Have a proven track record of success in a diverse community; understands, communicates and effectively interacts with people across cultures
- Must be a Certified Law Enforcement Officer in the State of Virginia, or able to attain certification though the Virginia Department of Criminal Justice Service
Candidates must possess well developed communication and public presentation skills, as well as utmost integrity, and be committed to the long-range success of the Roanoke Police Department. The Police Chief is appointed by and reports to the City Manager. The salary range for the position is $88,479 to $141,567, with hiring salary of $115,023 +/- DOQ. The City offers an excellent benefit package. The position is open until filled, with the review of initial applications beginning with those received on or before December 20, 2019. Submit resume, cover letter and contact information for 5 professional references to Paul Harlow or Rich Eddington at: www.GovHRjobs.com. Electronic submissions are required. Telephone inquiries: (847) 380-3240.
Posted:Nov 13, 2019