Rochester Hills, MI (pop. 76,028) – The City of Rochester Hills, a highly desirable community located in northern Oakland County, Michigan, seeks innovative and dedicated candidates for its Director of Human Resources (HR) position. Nationally recognized for its quality of life and resident satisfaction, Rochester Hills has developed according to its Master Plan and is home to a wide array of industries including computer technology, electronic research, development and manufacturing, and robotics technology. In addition, the City boasts more than 1,000 acres of parkland and a thriving cultural environment.
The Director of HR reports to the Mayor and joins a highly collaborative and talented administrative team comprised of nine other department heads. This position is responsible for administrative oversight, visioning, leadership, planning, coordinating, and control of the Human Resources Department. The Director of HR administers a broad range of human resource management functions City-wide, including, labor relations, employment relations, staffing, compensation, employee benefits, policy and procedure development, safety, training and development, performance management, and personnel records. The Department serves all of the City’s 250 full-time, 35 permanent part-time, and various seasonal and temporary part-time employees. The Human Resources Department has 5.5 FTEs (including the Director) and a budget responsibility of $1.14 million.
The City is seeking candidates that possess strong management skills, technical expertise, innovative problem solving, and a positive mind-set. This position is expected to independently manage the day-to-day work of the Human Resources Department, while being a trusted advisor to the Mayor and department heads regarding the broader human resources goals of the City. The successful candidate will demonstrate professionalism and a strong aptitude for communicating clearly, respectfully and in a helpful manner. Ideal candidates will have a demonstrated commitment to internal customer service and innovative organizational management.
Minimum qualifications include:
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with a major in Human Resources Management, Labor Relations, Public or Business Administration, Psychology or a related field;
- Ten (10) years of progressively responsible work experience in human resources management, including experience in labor relations, and wage and benefit administration;
- Five (5) years of department or organization supervisory experience.
- Intermediate proficiency with office computer applications and some experience with human resources information systems (HRIS).
Preferred qualifications include:
- Master's degree in Human Resources Management, Labor Relations, Public or Business Administration, or related field.
- SPHR, SHRM-SCP or IPMA-CP professional human resources certification.
- Previous experience in public sector human resources administration.
Starting salary range is $118,410 – 137,268 (DOQE), with excellent benefits.
First review of candidates will be August 24, 2023. Apply with a resume, cover letter, contact information and five professional references. Any questions or inquiries regarding the position can be made to the attention of Jaymes Vettraino, Vice President, GovHR USA, Tel: 847-380-3240.
Rochester Hills is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The City values diversity, equity and inclusion as a foundation for innovation and seeks candidates who represent a variety of backgrounds and perspectives.
Application Deadline: August 24, 2023