Scandia, MN (pop. 4,159) seeks an experienced, responsive, and creative leader for its next City Administrator. The City of Scandia is a full-service city and had a 2022 adopted all-funds budget of approximately $2.8 million which included the general fund budget of $1.9 million and 8 FTEs. The City Administrator is appointed by the Mayor and City Council and oversees all day-to-day operations for the city.
Scandia is known as an historic rural community, conveniently located on the edge of the Minneapolis/St. Paul metropolitan area and rich with natural features. The city offers a rich variety of outdoor recreational opportunities including seven parks, adjacency to the St. Croix River and Big Marine Lake Park Reserve, and William O’Brien State Park.
Scandia’s Village Center is literally and figuratively its commercial, social, cultural, and civic heart with local landmarks, cultural and civic activities. Consequently, the City has identified this region for modest commercial and residential growth. Scandia's jurisdictional boundaries cover a land area of just under 40 square miles, but the community is still able to maintain a rich local identity and close-knit feel. The city welcomes input through community volunteerism, commissions, and committees. This engagement is seen as an important asset to the community.
While proud of its history, Scandia is also embracing technology through an internet expansion initiative to provide high speed coverage throughout the community by leveraging grants and other funding. Funding for long term infrastructure maintenance, capital improvements, and staffing analysis are all priorities for the incoming candidate.
- A Bachelor’s degree in planning, public administration, urban studies, community development or a related field; A master’s degree is desirable.
- A minimum of five years of progressive leadership experience in municipal administration.
- Skilled in finance, budgeting, prioritization, and project management.
- Skilled in collaboration and team building with a variety of groups and individuals.
- Experienced and knowledgeable in all aspects of municipal operations, including zoning and code enforcement.
Successful candidates will also be:
- A calm, effective communicator, and active listener, open to input, yet willing to be decisive as needed.
- An experienced and assured leader able to effectively cultivate relationships with a wide variety of stakeholders.
- Able to identify opportunities, including technology to improve efficiencies and service to the community.
- Anticipatory and able to communicate complicated issues in a clear, factual, and concise manner.
- A strong leader, able to leverage the expertise and knowledge of the team.
- Able to organize, prioritize and manage multiple projects and provide regular updates to stakeholders, including elected officials and community members.
- Strategic about capital investment philosophy, ensuring the long term–financial viability of the community while being sensitive to the impact on the taxpayer.
- Experienced with assisting the mayor and council in planning for community and organizational growth.
- Maintain the city’s strong intergovernmental relations to leverage resources to best meet community needs.
The salary range is $110,00 to $130,000 DOQ. The City of Scandia provides a comprehensive benefit package. Interested candidates should apply online by January 31, 2023 with resume, cover letter and contact information for five work-related references to the attention of Charlene Stevens, Senior Vice President, and/or Melanie Lee, Vice President, GovHR USA 630 Dundee Road, #225, Northbrook, IL 60062. Tel: (847) 380-3240 X 124. Interviews with the City of Scandia are anticipated for late February or early March 2023.
The City of Scandia, MN is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Application Deadline: January 31, 2023