Shakopee, MN, located in the thriving Minneapolis-St, Paul Metropolitan region, is seeking highly qualified candidates for the position of Fire Chief. With an area of 29.8 square miles and an estimated 2023 population of 45,593, Shakopee is the 23rd largest City in Minnesota; and in 2020, the city was named among the country’s top 50 Best Places to Live by Money Magazine. Shakopee is a regional recreation destination as home to the Valleyfair amusement park and Canterbury Park racetrack.
The Fire Chief is responsible for the overall management and leadership of the City of Shakopee Fire Department. Created in 1883, the department has a rich 140-year history of service to the city and region, the combination department operates from two (2) fire stations with a full-time fire chief, full-time assistant fire chief, full-time administrative captain, full-time fire Marshal, four full-time firefighters and 46 paid on call firefighters who provide fire suppression, rescue and emergency medical assistance, and fire prevention and education services to the community. The Fire Chief works under the City Administrator and in collaboration with other city department directors and regional partners.
In seeking to fill this position, the City is emphasizing an extensive background and experience in the EMS and fire fields as well as strong leadership and team building capacity. The following list provides the required attributes a candidate must have to be successful in working for the City of Shakopee:
- A bachelor’s degree in fire science, public administration, or a related field from an accredited college, university, or vocational school; A master’s degree or possessing the designation of Executive Fire Officer (NFA), Chief Fire Officer (CPSE) or similar certifications are preferred.
- A minimum of 10 years’ experience with a minimum of 5 years of demonstrated leadership in a fire service command position in a department of equal or greater size and responsibility.
- Must possess Minnesota FFI and FFII certifications. Must also have Minnesota EMT, Hazmat Awareness and Operations Certifications or demonstrate equivalent certifications.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain Minnesota State Firefighters License.
- Must possess personal ethical and moral standards of the highest level.
- Demonstrated success in the areas of team building and working within a combination department structure.
- Demonstrated ability to be objective, adaptable, and flexible along with being relationship oriented and can build trust with both internal and external stakeholders.
- Participative and engaging communicator that has the ability to bring fresh ideas to the organization, has a high-level of energy, with a versatile approach to interacting with the community, city officials, staff and other stakeholders.
- A person that understands the need for, and how to use, data for problem solving, community risk reduction efforts, effective community education and engagement, and to develop a strategic plan for the future of the department.
- The ability and desire to coach and mentor staff in order to foster personal growth and leadership talent.
The salary range for this position is ($128,586 – $160,742) with the mid-point being the hiring range and DOQ. The city also provides a uniform and cell phone allowance. A full benefit and retirement package is also offered by the city.
Candidates must apply online by March 10, 2023 with resume, cover letter and contact information for five work-related references to the attention of either Charlene Stevens, Senior Vice President, or John Storm, Vice President, GovHR USA, 630 Dundee Road, #225, Northbrook, IL 60062. Tel: (847)309-9403. The City of Shakopee, MN is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Application Deadline: March 10, 2023