Skokie, Illinois (population 67,824) is seeking qualified candidates to serve as its next Risk Manager.
Skokie, Illinois serves as a regional hub for shopping and commercial activity, cultural attractions, and recreational opportunities. Chicago Magazine consistently gives Skokie high marks for livability, citing excellent schools, beautiful parks and open spaces, and outstanding municipal services. Located 16 miles northwest of downtown Chicago, and 12 miles east of O’Hare Airport, Skokie provides its business community with easy access to all types of transportation and other amenities and its residents with a full range of high-quality municipal services. Residents and visitors also enjoy a wide variety of entertainment and recreational opportunities including the North Shore Center for the Performing Arts and the award-winning Skokie Park District which maintains 240 acres of parkland and ten recreational facilities. Skokie is a culturally and racially diverse community and its historic and charming downtown is home to numerous ethnic restaurants, a bustling business community, and the nationally recognized Skokie Public Library. Skokie is also home to several other business areas including Westfield Old Orchard Mall comprised of hundreds of retail and commercial businesses including high-end shopping center anchors and restaurants. Skokie is an AAA-rated community, by two rating agencies, with a $154 million total budget and 444 full-time employees.
The Village’s current Risk Manager is retiring after thirty years of service in the Village. This position is classified as full-time working Monday-Friday during normal business hours in Village Hall. The Risk Manager is part of the Village Manager’s Office, serves on the Village Executive Management Team, and reports directly to the Assistant Village Manager. The Risk Manager administers approximately 120 new claims per year and will have the opportunity to complete the current installation of a proximity reader system and spearhead safety improvements for Village Hall during future Village Hall renovations.
The Risk Manager’s duties include:
- Developing programs and policies in areas of risk and loss prevention.
- Safety administration.
- Insurance claims management for property damage, casualty, liability, and workers’ compensation.
- Claims investigations.
- Coordinate insurance claims handling procedures.
- Ensures compliance with federal, state, and county safety, insurance, and risk exposure legislation and regulations.
- Bachelor’s degree in Risk Management, Insurance, Finance, Accounting, Business or Public Administration.
- Four years of professional experience in the risk management field with two years as an actual risk management program manager.
- A certified Associate in Risk Management (ARM) and a Certified Safety Professional (CSP) is preferred.
Ideal Candidates will possess:
- A positive attitude
- Excellent communication skills
- Public speaking skills
- A detailed-oriented mindset
- Proficient skills with Microsoft products
- Mechanical knowledge
- Excellent knowledge of the insurance industry
- Analytical skills
- The ability to be a good team player
- A common sense approach
- A personable and confident demeanor
- Experience with public entities, statutes, and public acts.
Compensation and Benefits:
The salary range for this position is $107,477 – $140,601 depending on qualifications and experience.
- Village-paid professional training, tuition assistance, and membership dues.
- Participation in the IMRF Pension system.
- Excellent Individual or family health insurance plan with 85%/15% village/employee split
- Dental Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Ten paid holidays
- Three floating holidays
- Paid sick leave
- Flexible Spending Account
- Deferred Compensation
- Village-provided technology and a $65 monthly cell phone stipend
- Relocation Assistance is Negotiable if Applicable
There is no residency requirement for this position.
Selection Process & Schedule
Interested candidates should apply online with a resume, cover letter, and contact information for five professional references. Electronic submissions are required. The first reviews of resumes will begin on June 2, 2023. The position will be open until filled. The Village anticipates the first round of interviews to occur in early to mid-June.
For questions contact:
Jim Arndt, Vice President GovHR USA
Skokie, IL is committed to compliance with the American Disabilities Act and is an Equal Opportunity Employer.